We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas week. 21 to 26 Dec

Bangkok
Level Contributor
66 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas week. 21 to 26 Dec

Will be back in Dublin during this time and will be traveling with another friend who has been to Dublin before but never out side the city other than Howth.

We've booked to see "Oliver" at the Bord Gais Theatre, plan on seeing the various Christmas markets and of course the Christmas lights around the city and was hoping to do a day trip somewhere. I'm not sure if Malahide Castle will be open by then but am also looking at taking the train to Kilkenny to see Kilkenny Castle. We tried to contact Collins Day Tours but they don't answer emails and when I called the number just rang out. Really were up for anything but my friend would love to see a castle.

Ideas? Thanks your help!

Dublin
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas week. 21 to 26 Dec

Great that you will be returning.. Check the dates for the Christmas markets. The one in Dublin Docklands will close on the 23rd of December but in Dun Laoghaire the market runs until the 8th of January 2013. For others markets check on Google by filling out Christmas markets Dublin. Not all have posted their dates. In Dublin you can also visit Dublin Castle. A trip to Kilkenny is easily taken by train from Heuston station. Look at the Irish rail website, the rail service is often cheaper if you buy your tickets at least 4 or 5 days in advance. Trim Castle is also very good and is often included in a day tour to The Boyne Valley. For day tours have a look at daytours.ie but also inquire first because around Christmas they may have fewer dates.

Also on Christmas day museums will be closed. Shops have not published their opening hours yet but probably will have extended hours before Christmas and are closed or Christmas day. Since you will be staying at Christmas it is probably good to organise the 25th by booking a restaurant or hotel restaurant for the evening just to avoid disappointment. Around Christmas lots of people will have parties and book restaurants so make sure you make reservations for the places you really would like to go to.

Great things to do on Christmas day is a walk in St Stephens Green or Phoenix Park or return to Howth for a seaside walk.

In Dublin the days before Christmas are magic and there is a good buzz around town. I'm sure you are going to love it!

2. Re: Christmas week. 21 to 26 Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, December 14, 2013