We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chuggers targeting tourists

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Chuggers targeting tourists

For those of you not familiar with the term "chugger" it's an amalgam of "charity" and " mugger", meaning an extremely insistent person persuing you along the street trying to persuade you to subscribe to an instant, monthly or annual contribution to various charities helping the needy in Ireland or abroad.

I had a most unpleasant experience this lunch time that prompted me to warn tourists in particular.

I was walking to my bus stop in Westmoreland Street with a purpose, not ambling along as if I was taking in the sights. All of a sudden I was joined by an individual who started to "chat me up". I ignored him until he said "You're a tourist, aren't you, I can tell from your clothes." Now, I was wearing a rain jacket (it had been quite cold in the morning and I was glad of the jacket when it started raining just before I got home.) And I was wearing white canvas runners (very comfy for the walk into the city centre from Ranelagh). Did this outfit make me look like a tourist? And if it did, did it justify being pursued along the whole street by a strange guy in a sweatshirt with a logo that might just represent a certain charity? I told him several times in a polite voice to please leave me alone. He wouldn't. I eventually had to resort to rather strong language. He stayed away then but I could still hear him even ten meters away. I never found out what exactly he wanted or what charity he was "working" for, I was just being harrassed by him. Both hubby and I donate what we can to charity, we don't need this carry-on.

I'm just wondering why this guy was hitting on a person who in his opinion looked like a tourist? From a charity point of view this doesn't make sense, does it?

I can handle these persons but my advice to potential visitors to Dublin or anywhere in Ireland is to ignore these "chuggers". Let on you don't understand English or tell them off.

These persons are just a nuisance (and you probably find them everywhere in the world), don't let them spoil your holiday!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chuggers targeting tourists

I bet that made you feel good Clauds being targetted as a tourist. This sort of thing happens all over the world, in Portugal for instance we used to be harrased by people selling time-share apartments. I was nearly mugged once in Helsinki and I believe that Rome is not so good either. Be prepared and keep your wallet safe or better still don't carry one at all and have the minimum of money on your person.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chuggers targeting tourists

Clauds I always thought you were a "him" not a "her" :)

I agree these people are a nuisance but I have never found them to be this aggressive, it's a pity you didn't get the name of the charity, I would complain, this type of attitude is only hurting the charity.

No idea why they would target tourists. . . can you make international direct debits?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chuggers targeting tourists

Chances are that he thought that a tourist would not subscribe but would possibly take out their wallet to make a one time contribution at which time they could just snatch the wallet.

Thanks for the warning. I'm not very gullible and don't put up with people hassling me any where but I know there are others that are more kind hearted than I and might be tempted to give them € just to get rid of them.

Ireland
Level Contributor
970 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chuggers targeting tourists

I have to run the gauntlet of chuggers every lunchtime at work. There's usually a gang of them on Talbot St/North Earl St. As it happens, I already donate every month to one well known charity which uses chuggers, so I tell them that and they usually back off. It's very annoying, especially when they're outside my usual lunch spot. It is so pleasant being on maternity leave - ain't no chuggers in the 'burbs. I honestly don't understand why anyone would sign up on the street to donate to a charity on a regular basis.

I've been chugged in London and Boston too.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,383 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chuggers targeting tourists

Clauds (and others) if it happens again, make sure you find out what the charity is and then complain vehemently to the charity.

We have them in cork, bl00dy pests too, but at the same time I feel very sorry for them having to do a job like that regardless of how much they get paid.

I will now NEVER give to any of the charities who are employing Chugger tactics as a way of getting funds. It's veering more to the side of mugging now. Hopefully some law will be brought in to stop them getting donations this way.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chuggers targeting tourists

Here in Paris I just say with a big smile' no but thanks anyway!!' As I walk on by.

Ireland
Level Contributor
970 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chuggers targeting tourists

We should clarify that 'chuggers' are employed by legitimate charities and they are seeking regular monthly donations by electronic transfer from a bank account. They are not looking for cash donations,so there is no reason why they would target tourists but it seems from Clauds post that they do. Maybe they're doing it out of boredom because they are being rebuffed all the time.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,383 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chuggers targeting tourists

"Maybe they're doing it out of boredom because they are being rebuffed all the time."

If that is the case, then they need to get some manners and desist immediately.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chuggers targeting tourists

Why in the world would someone tourist or not give some stranger on the street their banking details? Even if they are legitimately working for a legitimate charity I wouldn't want to hand over my banking information to someone on the street. Seems sketchy to me. Of course I wouldn't give my details to the phone or email solicitors either. Just not that trusting.

Tipperary, Ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chuggers targeting tourists

They bloody wreck my head, no is no simple ......