We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this Itinerary seem do-able?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Idaho, United States
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Does this Itinerary seem do-able?

Does this seem do-able? I know it's a bit cramped but we're used to 'rush' travel LOL and we don't mind the full days driving for the day trips.

Oct. 19th

Arrive in Dublin at 8:15am

Check into Hotel

Malahide Castle 11am-1pm

Trim Castle 2pm-4pm

Guinness Storefront 4-5pm

Oct 20th

Day trip to The Cliffs of Moher

Countryside Excursions

Oct 21st

Day trip to Cork to see Blarney Castle and kiss the Blarney Stone 8am-5pm

Back to Dublin for

The Brazen Head Pub for Dinner and Irish folklore storytelling. 7-10pm

Oct 22nd

Depart Dublin 10:45am

Eire
Level Contributor
3 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this Itinerary seem do-able?

ALLpossible except Trim Castle back to Guinness Store.

Idaho, United States
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this Itinerary seem do-able?

Thank you! Guinness takes the last admission at 5pm. If I bumped that to 5, and spent a little less time at Trim, would it be doable??

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this Itinerary seem do-able?

Not sure what you mean by "daytrip" - are you staying in Dublin the entire time?

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this Itinerary seem do-able?

You are trying to squeeze in too much - part of the pleasure of Ireland is slowing down a bit and giving time & space for the chance fun encounters. You risk seeing the countryside as a high speed blur from behind the windscreen of a car - assuming you are hiring a car.

Day 1 - Drop Trim Castle, as it's 40 miles each way from Dublin and would take at least an hour each way - assuming you don't get lost driving on unfamiliar roads and on the wrong side.

Day 2 - Cliffs of Moher is possible - it's a 3-4 hour drive each way, some on motorway (highway) but some on winding roads in the countryside. It's a lot of driving for one day

Day 3 - Blarney ditto - it's a 3 hour drive from Dublin and again a lot of driving for a quick "snog of the rock". I'd be afraid that you might be underwhelmed by the experience and end up snoring due to exhaustion by the time you get back to the Brazen Head.

Edited: 1:13 am, September 02, 2012
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,676 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does this Itinerary seem do-able?

Leaving a bright sunny October day for a 3 hour plus drive into unknown weather on our side of the island makes no sense what so ever. The Cliffs of Moher get everything the Atlantic throws this way and even here 25 miles as the crow flies I only take visitors as part of larger plan unless the weather is really good.

Idaho, United States
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does this Itinerary seem do-able?

Trin,

Yes we have hotel booked in Dublin for the entire trip but I am open to possibly grabbing a B&B in the country if we need to.

Domh,

Thanks for the advice, I will drop Trim Castle!

Tony,

I see what you are saying but the Cliffs are kind of a big deal for my partner.

Thanks everyone for the advice. The driving doesn't bother me in the slightest and I think by dropping Trim castle it makes that first day much more do-able.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does this Itinerary seem do-able?

If you must 'snog the rock' and see the Cliffs- Instead of heading back to Dublin each night why don't you do something like this this.

Day1 Dublin Guinness Storehouse and Malahide Castle. Overnight Dublin. Early start the next morning.

Day 2 drive to Blarney and snog the rock, then head toward the Cliffs get as close as you can. Overnight near by. The experts here could advise where would be a good place. Maybe Ennis?

Day 3- you can see the Cliffs and maybe a bit more of Co Clare in the AM before heading back to Dublin.

Or you could do the reverse.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,446 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does this Itinerary seem do-able?

Ok, I think you have been looking at a map of Ireland and thinking it seems a small place. You need to look at aaroadwatch.ie and the route planner there and then add at least 20% onto the driving time. The roads around the Cliffs are small, you will not be cruising on big wide roads as you might at home.

I drive long distances in Ireland each week but certainly would not consider a trip to Blarney and the Cliffs as day trips from Dublin in October!!

Personally I can't abide the storehouse or Brazenhead, but if it's cliché tourist stuff you want, it's what you'll get.

Edited: 6:43 pm, October 05, 2012
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,676 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does this Itinerary seem do-able?

It just doesn't make sense to have Dublin as a base? You could head straight from the Airport to Galway on one of the express bus's. Budget have a car hire office right by the bus terminal if you feel up to driving or drop your bags and take a bus to the Cliffs and back. Next day Bus or drive to Cork for Blarney Castle then bus, train, drive back to Dublin for the last day.

Personally I would just concentrate on the 3 day city break rather than spend the equivalent of 1/3 of your time in some form of transport,

(I'm not sure if my "snog a rock" phrase has patent pending?)

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does this Itinerary seem do-able?

Tony- I'll be happy to give you full credit for the 'snog the rock' phrase. Maybe a pint or a cup on me when I pass your way?

Personally I'm skipping the snog on the rock that millions of others have slobbered on, Yuck!

If it were me and I only had 3 days I would spend 2 of them in Dublin which has much more to offer than just the storehouse. And with the 3rd take a tour of either Glendalough, Newgrange or perhaps Belfast. The Glendalough tour with Day Tours Unplugged goes to Glendalough and Malahide Castle ( from 19 Oct on through March). Have been on this tour but it gets good reviews here on TA.

That way you avoid having to rent a car at all.

Edited: 9:41 pm, October 05, 2012