We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do outside of Dublin?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv
4 posts
Save Topic
Things to do outside of Dublin?

Hello,

We will be arriving in Dublin late July for a week.

We are traveling on a budget and will be staying mostly in Dublin and have booked a 3 day tour of southern Ireland aswell.

We have planed our trip, and have 1 free day we want to fill up with something nice to see outside of Dublin, and reachable by public transportation.

Nature and nice views is our kind of thing, and visiting Howth is one option we are considering. Any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
825 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do outside of Dublin?

Hello. I think there are day tours that you can see: Giants Causeway, Powerscourt House and Gardens, Newgrange, Trim castle, Glendalough, the list goes on. Perhaps the hotel you are staying at can give you some info about the different day tours from Dublin, or go to the Dublin tourism website and see what that has. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Tel Aviv
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do outside of Dublin?

Hi, thank you for the replay.

We are considering the day tours, it is part of our plan during that week, but we wanted to have this one day as independed as possible. We will be doing a 3 day guided tour of the south/west and probably 1 day Wicklow.

We want to discover a bit on our own via buses or trains, and this is where Howth came to mind, being close to dublin and not hard to reach.

Thanks

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do outside of Dublin?

Coastal Co Dublin:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186604-i89-k46168…

And, Coastal Co meath and Co Louth:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k45765…

Carlingford, Co Louth and The Mourne area of Co Down (latter in Northern Ireland):

http://www.carlingfordandmourne.com/

Newly introduced this summer, a couple of Day Tours by Bus Eireann from Dublin, if that's not overload:

…carlingfordandmourne.com/packages/bus-eirea…

…carlingfordandmourne.com/packages/bus-eirea…

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do outside of Dublin?

Map of DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit):

www.visitdublin.com/pdf/DARTRouteMap.pdf

Bus Eireann Tourist Passes, if relevant:

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=279

If you are going to use Irish Rail (train service), be sure to book in advance, as prices are much cheaper that way.

For example:

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_offers.jsp?i=4577

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do outside of Dublin?

You should consider Wicklow mountains / Glendalough. Not far from Dublin but also not easy to get by transport. There is a special bus service for the mountains that drops you off & picks you off. Beautiful nature scenery!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
194 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do outside of Dublin?

+1 on Glendalough - you can reach it by bus: http://www.glendaloughbus.com/ but only one service a day each way. Bring a packed lunch, plenty of water and comfortable hiking clothes (not jeans) and you'll be fine. Carlingford is nice but not as easy to cover in one day by public transport.

Alternatively, there is also the Bray Cliff Walk - catch the Dart to Greystones and set off on the walk, about 7 or 8km later you'll be in Bray where you can catch the Dart back. I would recommend this itinery rather than doing it in reverse because Dart services to Greystones are not as frequent. Grab a bite on Bray's victorian seafront or in Dalkey (a few stops away) on your way back to town. visitwicklow.ie/attractions/bray-greystones-…

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do outside of Dublin?

I'd go for Glendalough as well. Really beautiful and relatively easy to access. There are also cheap train fares available on www.irishrail.ie so Kilkenny would also be an option. It's about 1.5 hours and there's lots to do and see.

Tel Aviv
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do outside of Dublin?

Thank you all for the helpfull input.

We have another whole day dedicated to Wicklow mountains and Glendalough, we just couldn't pass on it ;)

Other than that, the Bray cliff walk seems great. Do you think it is possible to do on the same day with the Howth cliff walk? for example, start with Graystones to Bray, and do Howth after that?

Thanks again.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do outside of Dublin?

Howth is very nice, I don't think you would be disappointed

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do outside of Dublin?

Another vote for Howth,it's a great place!