We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lower Gardiner Street Safe to stay ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
796 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Lower Gardiner Street Safe to stay ?

I have booked 3 nights at a B&B in Lower Gardiner Street after checking the reviews which appeared mostly good.

But now on checking for tourist information etc on ta I see lots of reviewers are suggesting that the area is rather seedy, not safe and best to look elsewhere for accommodation. A lot of the remarks were made a few years ago, has the area improved, is it now safe or should I cancel and look in another area ?

I chose the area as it seems to be central and convenient for transport to/from Airport and trains etc.

Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lower Gardiner Street Safe to stay ?

In my opinion the area is safe provided you follow the same precautions you would in any major city in the world. I'm not sure if I'd use the word seedy to describe it, there are not sex shops or anything, sure, the area is not the most gentrified and there are architecturally nicer places in the city.

Dublin is not really that big so there is really no need to stay right at the bus or train station!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,402 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lower Gardiner Street Safe to stay ?

When in Dublin I work beside Lower Gardiner Street. True, it is not the most opulent part of the city by a long stretch, but I have never felt any less safe there (day or night) than any other part of the city centre

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lower Gardiner Street Safe to stay ?

I used to live there and I never really felt any problems on Gardiner St itself. You have to be a little bit careful with the side streets off it though.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lower Gardiner Street Safe to stay ?

It is an edgier part of town, but not unsafe as has been said, if you excercise usual precautions.

It is however the nicest part of town, nor are the streets, immediate area around it.

Dublin
Level Contributor
95 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lower Gardiner Street Safe to stay ?

I'll be totally honest, as a native Dubliner I'd avoid that area if you are a girl on your own unless you are getting a great bargain. My suburban train has one of the city centre stations close to Gardiner Street and I find walking from there to O'Connell Street you are likely to bump into junkies and drunkies!!! Mind you there are plenty of cheap hostels there so if there are a few of you maybe you'd be ok!

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lower Gardiner Street Safe to stay ?

With five stays in Dublin, I've always been on Lower Gardiner (The Townhouse). As others have mentioned, while not particularly the most beautiful area, I've always felt entirely safe, including some late night returns. There's the advantage of some better rates at the B&B's and Guest Houses there.

I think what has happened is that, at least at one time, UPPER Gardiner was a problem area. It's not in a tourist zone and I read some cautions about seedy activity. Lower Gardiner is just not the same but used to be confused. (I don't know the current status of Upper Gardiner.)

Don't worry about the location. Actually convenient to much that the City Centre has to offer.

Keith

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lower Gardiner Street Safe to stay ?

I've stayed there too (Townhouse) and never encountered what I had been lead to believe I might encounter. The only thing i will say about Gardiner street is that any bedrooms (regardless of accommodation) facing onto that street will experience 24 x 7 loud traffic noise. Not a place for the light sleeper.

The Townhouse - thankfully has many bedrooms at the rear of the building as I'm sure do other accomms on that street.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
796 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lower Gardiner Street Safe to stay ?

Thanks Guys,

I'm not one to venture out late at night, and will be on guided bus tours most of the day with a drop off close to where I am staying. The rate including full breakie is very good. I googled address and looked at street view, was happy with what I could see.

I live near a major freeway so have heavy traffic noise 24/7, the noise won't bother me

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lower Gardiner Street Safe to stay ?

Years ago Upper Gardiner St and the area around Mountjoy Square would have a bad reputation, I've heard rumours of prostitutes working in Mountjoy Square but they date back to the 70s and 80s!!! I don't love the area, I wouldn't be fond of living there but I don't avoid it. Lower Gardiner St has a different feel, there's a ton of guest houses and loads of people around. I regularly walk home on Friday evenings at 11.30pm from Parnell St via Upper and Lower Gardiner St, I've never had a problem.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lower Gardiner Street Safe to stay ?

Another vote of confidence for the area. It's not the prettiest, nor the wealthiest, but it's a good location for accommodation in Dublin if you are watching the pennies (or should that be the cents?) Have stayed in the Townhouse on Lower Gardiner Street several times including a number of solo visits and have never felt intimidated walking back , even after dark. This in spite of dire warnings from friends and family in Dublin, who I think are understandably very anxious to protect overseas visitors from any unsavoury goings on, and in my family's case, can remember the reputation of this part of town from years ago.

Usual caveats about city streets apply, but you will be fine.