We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car insurance

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
279 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car insurance

I know the issue of rental cars has been discussed many times here, but I am still confused. None of our credit cards extend insurance to cars rented in Ireland, so obviously, we need to purchase something while we're there. We are renting from Hertz, and they are offering CDW, Super CDW, personal accident insurance, and theft protection as add-ons. Which option(s) should I choose?

Thanks for your help!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car insurance

I take CDW and Super CDW but never bother with personal accident and insurance or theft as this would normally be covered by any other travel insurance you have.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car insurance

I hope this explains the various optional extras:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186591-c138899/Ire…

Like fuchsiagirlEngland, I don't take out personal accident insurance as I have a comprehensive annual travel insurance policy (High Recommended!).

I recommend taking out the Super CDW cover, as it's all too easy to scratch the bodywork or break a wing mirror - and even a "minor" scratch can cost dearly.

As I tend to hire cars several times each year, I have an annual policy that covers super cdw, which is very reasonable indeed. However, the company I deal with only covers European residents:

http://www.insurance4carhire.com/

You may be able to find something suitable online that covers US residents.

The only drawback with purchasing super cdw via a 3rd party is:

1 the rental company will put a "hold" of anything between €1000-€2000 on my credit card. This money will be released when I return the car undamaged.

2 if there is any damage to the car, the rental company will keep some or all of the "hold" amount and I will have to claim back from the insurance company.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
279 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car insurance

Thanks for the information. I think we'll opt for CDW and Super CDW, even though that more than doubles the cost of the rental. Better safe than sorry!

Warwick, New York
Level Contributor
135 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car insurance

I'm pretty sure super CDW is 10-15€ extra per day, well worth that if you get only 1 ding in the car. Btw, i hope you are over 30, I read on the Hertz website that they do not supply super CDW to anyone under 30.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
279 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car insurance

Yes, we are (way) over 30 -- but that's good to know. Thanks!

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
464 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car insurance

I too am now confused again. I was looking at a rental with carhire3000 and they state this on their terms and conditions:

"Collision Damage Waiver will waive your liability to pay for any damage caused to the vehicle during the period of hire".

So is every rental companies CDW policy different or something? Because the rental comes with CDW already so I wouldn't think there is a point of paying another hundred bucks for super CDW if the CDW already covers all the damage.

Edited: 9:20 pm, February 10, 2012
Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
464 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car insurance

Nevermind, I guess it doesn't matter since i'm under 30. So no super cdw for me anyway. Its hard to tell from the website but I just want to confirm that the hertz rentals come with standard CDW?

Edit: Well that's weird, I just got a quote from Hertz from the aer lingus site using a promo code and I got $592. I went to hertz.com and didn't use a promo code and got $533.

Edited: 9:31 pm, February 10, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
776 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car insurance

Checked the carhire3000 website and found the following:

"Our Damage Excess Refund Product offers full reimbursement for the damage excess portion of any charges paid. It's just one less thing to worry about. (Exceptions apply, full details can be found in our Terms & Conditions).

Just 6,95 € per day"

So bottom line is you have to purchase their "Damage Excess Refund Product" at 6.95 Euros per day (a little over $9.00 which is actually cheap) to waive the "excess portion of any charges paid"

Not recommending them, just clarifying that there is an additional charge to waive the excess.

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
464 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car insurance

Thanks. I have just booked with Hertz though because I got a better deal with AAA discount then the other companies. I just have to get the super cdw from somewhere as Hertz charges too much. I got a quote from a third party insurer for something like 50-60 dollars while Hertz wants 84 euros a week. I don't mind a hold on my credit card, just hoping to find a reliable insurer that will pay up in case of any claims. So all in all the cost for the rental is not bad I think, considering how expensive all the insurances are in Ireland. It came out to 467 euro w/ cdw, plus the extra 60 bucks for the excess insurance.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
279 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental car insurance

We are renting a car from Hertz for 8 days, and it will be 175 Euros for the car, then 143.50 for CDW and 126 for super CDW. Pretty outrageous for a little car, in my opinion, but what can you do.