We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice of 4 hotels

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
367 posts
34 reviews
Choice of 4 hotels

Hi There

My husband and I are looking to book a trip through Virgin Vacations. There are 4 hotel 'LEVELS" offered (the cheapest is listed first and the most expensive last). We do not spend a lot of time in hotel and simply need a CLEAN safe place to sleep. A great location is very important . We would love a great breakfast in the am, but it doesn't have to be fancy.

We are usually gone from early morning until bedtime. The choices are:

Dublin City Inn Talcott St. (a Days Inn)

Mespil Hotel

Camden Court

Radisson Blu Royal Hotel

We will pay for the Radisson if need be, but lots of reviews on here view the others as good as well. Any local expert opinions will be appreciated!!

Cheers!!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
1. Re: Choice of 4 hotels

I am not a local but of those hotels you listed Radisson Blu Royal Hotel is tough to beat. What time of year are you planning?

Edited: 9:10 pm, November 28, 2011
West Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
367 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Choice of 4 hotels

We will be coming in July. The Radisson is definitely beautiful. We are just wondering whether the extra expense is worth it b/c we will be there so little during our entire trip...

Just weighing all of the options- thank you so much for helping We are extremely excited to visit Ireland!!!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
3. Re: Choice of 4 hotels

I understand your dilemma. We traveled with our daughter and son-in-law and needed to help them watch their budget. We stayed at the Grafton Capital Hotel in Dublin which is nothing to write home about but it has a great location and is quite reasonable. Basically we slept there and made the occasional pit stop. It was fine. We breakfasted at Bewley's on Grafton Street. There are a lot of helpful locals on this forum. You will love Ireland.

Edited: 10:05 pm, November 28, 2011
Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
4. Re: Choice of 4 hotels

I just re-read my first post. I meant to say based on location the Radisson is tough to beat.

Dublin Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Choice of 4 hotels

The Mespil is a decent hotel too, quite close to the centre of Town and if there is a significant saving that would be a good option.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,541 posts
183 reviews
6. Re: Choice of 4 hotels

Location wise the Radisson and Mespil are close, the Camden Court is in the same area, the City Inn is on the other side of the city, it is slightly more central but the area is not as chic, it is safe though.

If I could afford the Radisson or I was getting a good deal I would probably chose there first, then Mespil, then Camden and finally City Inn.

If you consider Trinity to be the centre of Dublin then Radisson.Mespil and Camden could be about a 20 minute walk away, City Inn would be about 10.

I'm not certain if City Inn is still affiliated with Days Inn (not sure if this matters to you!) It was recently taken over by NAMA and renamed.

West Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
367 posts
34 reviews
7. Re: Choice of 4 hotels

Thank you for these replies so far-- this is why the board is so great. In many reviews, everyone kept saying that City Inn was close to lots of places, but it sounds like the other three are closer to many more important places. I am going to price out the trip for all four and see how much the difference is...

Keep your thoughts coming!!

THANK YOU

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
43 reviews
8. Re: Choice of 4 hotels

Stay away from Talbot St area.

Mespil is in a nice area close to the LUAS line which will take you into the city centre or out to Dundrum shopping centre...well worth a visit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Choice of 4 hotels

I've stayed in the Camden Court and the Mespil, I would recommend both but the Mespil was slightly preferable imo.

West Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
367 posts
34 reviews
10. Re: Choice of 4 hotels

Excellent, I am taking the Dublin City Inn out of the running!!! I will price out the other three!!!

=)