We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas/New Year's Eve in Dublin 2011/2012

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas/New Year's Eve in Dublin 2011/2012

Hello,

We just booked a great deal on a trip to Dublin over the holiday (dec 27) through New Year's Eve. I've been to Dublin a few times so I have a good sense of what the atmosphere is like, but I have never been during this time. I've read some of the forums on NYE in prior years and it seems as though Dublin isn't the greatest place to go for New Year's Eve, but since we're going anyway, any advice anyone has on what bars/pubs to go to (even if it means going early to get in) would be helpful. We're late 20s, fine with the pub scene (not really a fan of nightclubs) and usually go out in Boston for the New Year.

Additionally, any thoughts on good activities during Christmas time would also be great!!

Many thanks

Dublin
Level Contributor
168 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas/New Year's Eve in Dublin 2011/2012

Hey KtMagnolia,

Many locals in Dublin don't go into the city centre because transport home can be a bit of an issue; that said, every pub will still be absolutely packed so you won't be short of options with a good atmosphere.

You'll find that a lot of the bigger venues, especially those that have dancefloors in them, charge anything from 10 to 20 euro on NYE; but if you're not worried about the disco scene, this won't be a problem

I presume you're staying in the city centre? My advice is to go out and have a walk around, sample a few pubs when you first get here and find one you like, then get there early on NYE and set up camp! There must be a thousand threads on here recommending pubs in Dublin, but if you post back and tell us where you're staying, we'll help you out with specifics.

PS, if you're going out for dinner, do it early, restaurants will be packed on NYE and many will only do set menus.

The period between Christmas and New Year is traditionally quiet in Dublin, a lot of people will be down the country, but check out ticketmaster.ie to see if there are any shows or concerts on which might interest you.

Edited: 10:46 am, August 26, 2011
Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas/New Year's Eve in Dublin 2011/2012

Conor has given good advice, and if you've been here before it will help.

If you're not into clubs, my suggestion would be to imbibe in the first few days you are here and find somewhere you like. As you said there are lots of suggestions.

Unfortunately Dublin is not the best of cities on NYE. It tends to be a free for all, with overcrowding, and poor service. But if you can pick a pub you like the ambiance in, set up camp early and hold your ground, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

If you give us an idea of what sort of vibe you'd be looking for, we might be able to make more specific suggestions.

For late 20's I would suggest Camden St, South William St. Great fun places with a huge variation of pubs from the traditional to the modern. Do you want a place with or without music etc?

Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas/New Year's Eve in Dublin 2011/2012

Conor,

This is really helpful, thanks! We'll make sure to find a good restaurant and pub for NYE early in our trip. We're staying in the Maldron Cardiff Lane - a bit outside the centre but we're happy walking when possible (we live in the center of Boston and walk everywhere now).

It seems from my research that a lot shuts down in Ireland this week between Christmas and NY - is that the same case in Dublin city?

Thanks again!

katie

Dublin
Level Contributor
168 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas/New Year's Eve in Dublin 2011/2012

The Maldron in Cardiff Lane is not that far from the city centre at all, easily walkable to good pubs and restaurants. The Maldron is also very close to the new Grand Canal Theatre as well as the O2 concert venue, you could check out listings in either of these. It's also convenient to the train station so if you wanted a bit of fresh air one of the days, head out to Howth and walk around the headland (heavily weather dependent).

Dublin will be quiet enough between Christmas and New Year but everything will be open; shops will be running their January sales, pubs will close on 25 & 26 December but will be back open on the 27th, you may find some restaurants are closed but the vast majority will be open.

Suggestion from DublinMinx to go to South William St and Camden St is a good one; plenty of variety of bars on these streets so you're bound to find something you like. Grogan's on South William St is often voted the best pub in Dublin, it's a bit 'old-school' (ie hasn't been painted in 30 years) but it's great for an afternoon pint...

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas/New Year's Eve in Dublin 2011/2012

Grogan's is my favourite old school pub in Dublin Conor.

You could do worse on NYE, but they close early, ie 1am. Many more modern pubs will be open till 2.30.

Metuchen, New Jersey
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas/New Year's Eve in Dublin 2011/2012

KtMagnolia,

Friends and I just booked the same trip! We are coming in a little later than you (the 29th) but are also looking for things to do! How fun!

Keep in touch and let me know if you get any great suggestions. The four of us are all first-timers so any pub, I'm sure, will impress us.

For those with suggestions, we are looking for a laid back pub scene with good music and fun people!

Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas/New Year's Eve in Dublin 2011/2012

you could go to the traditional ringing in of the New Year by the bells of Christchurch in Dublin. Then head off to a local hostillary for some much needed drinks to warm up.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas/New Year's Eve in Dublin 2011/2012

Dublin restruants are starting to get on to the idea of NYE ......whatever you do, try to get out to the races at Leopardstown on the 28 or 29 ( they start on the 26)...always fun.

Last NYE we had a late afternoon tea at the Westbury which was a great way to start the evening

Edited: 1:06 pm, September 07, 2011
new york
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas/New Year's Eve in Dublin 2011/2012

Hi, I also booked the same trip and will be staying at the Maldron Cardiffe Lane, we are a large family 11 adults and 5 children, we have booked some tours but are also looking for NYE suggestions!

Saint Louis, MO
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas/New Year's Eve in Dublin 2011/2012

I'm staying at the Regency Hotel in Whitehall during NYE. Will it be difficult catching a bus home from a city center pub at closing on New Years? Any recommendations for pubs around Whitehall? Looking for a late 20's or early 30's crowd.