We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newgrange

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
295 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Newgrange

Hi,

my friend and i will be in dublin for February. Mostly we will be in the city without a car, though I am intrigued by the idea of seeing Newgrange. Is Newgrange worth the trouble it takes to make the trip? and also, how does one get to Newgrange using public transportation...if it is at all possible.

Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland.
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newgrange

mythicalireland.com/ancientsites/…index.html

https://www.buseireann.ie/asp/TourList.asp#2

Check out both those web pages, the first one has a comprehensive view of Newgrange and the second link is the State owned bus operator who run a daytrip to Newgrange and the Boyne Valley.

dublin,ireland
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newgrange

I definitely thought it was worth a trip out-its amazing

Sicklerville, New...
Level Contributor
175 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newgrange

So worth the effort!! Newgrange is amazing!

For a more comprehensive tour you can also check out www.newgrangetours.com -- 6 hr trip - including Newgrange and Tara

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
295 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newgrange

Oh wow. Thanks so much for the information. I really want to check this place out now. I hope my friend will comply--since she's strictly into checking out the city. How far is it from Dublin center to newgrange? Maybe I can tell her it's not that far...

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,960 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newgrange

Someone local can better advise, but I'm not sure it's really possible to get to Newgrange via public transport.

And though it may not be an issue in February, they limit admission to the actual chamber and it would be a shame to get all the way out and find the day filled up already.

So if you're really determined to go, do an organized tour.

And yes, it's worth it. :)