We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

different driving sides

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
different driving sides

My friends are just back from Dublin and had the same kind of problem crossing a street... we look first in the wrong way.

Easy when you cross with the green light but dangerous when you are crossing in another point.

I hope we are not completely stupid but, tho we kept repeating ourself to look first on the right, near Guinness Storehouse I had just the time to catch back my son (18) by his jacket before going under a car. From the looks of the drivers face we scared him to death.

I was wondering if you have to pay more attention when driving cause of tourists and if you have the same kind of problem when you come over.

Maybe we are just absent minded, lol.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Dublin
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Wild Rover Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Collins Day Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Irish Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: different driving sides

No, you're not stupid, stettola. It just takes a little time to get used to looking right first, then left (as opposed to right, then left as on the continent).

Then again, Irish pedestrians are notorious for just crossing the streets where they like WITHOUT bothering to look at all. I am always surprised there aren't more pedestrians killed.

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: different driving sides

Ciao Clauds,

I noticed that about Dubliners, lol. Very much like in Rome, only here traffic is a bit crazier. Infact we immediately joined them.

My kids were laughing at me when I tried to sit at the driver's place when taking the taxi to the airport. But the taxi driver was so nice and said "no prob madam, it's normal"