We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel, B&B, or self-catering???

Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Hotel, B&B, or self-catering???

Our family of 5 (teenagers: 2 boys, 1 girl) is visiting Dublin for a long weekend March 3-6, 2006. Because of necessary sleeping arrangements, I thought self-catering apartment would be a good solution, but then read fair-poor reviews about Christchurch Hall Apartments. Any suggestions??? We won't be renting a car so prefer to stay City Center, but would consider hotel, B&B, or other rental with easy public transportation.

Thank You!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel, B&B, or self-catering???

I think if you do a search for self-catering in Dublin on this site you might get some suggestions. Have you also tried Jury's Inn (Christchurch)? They might have special offers for family rooms. Good luck!

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel, B&B, or self-catering???

Hi

There are self-catering apartments just on the outskirts of the city centre that have had super reviews here. For the life of me I can not remember what they are called....thought I might jog someone's memory by posting - I DO remember that they are close to the SCHOOLHOUSE Hotel (which is just by the canal).

Anyone??

A

Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel, B&B, or self-catering???

Thank you... maybe another traveler will know the name of the property you're thinking of. In the meantime, I came across good reviews for Bewleys Hotel in Ballsbridge... another link to apartments run by Bewleys that used to be a convent (or was it an orphanage?) Anybody know what I'm thinking of?

Thank you again!

Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel, B&B, or self-catering???

Are you thinking of Molesworth Court self-catering apartments? They're next to/near Mansion House, and they're on Schoolhouse Lane. I've also read good things, so I'll try to make a reservation.

Thank You!

Dublin
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel, B&B, or self-catering???

Hi, I am from Dublin and know a lot of the hotels well and have two suggestions. For very good quluity self-catering appartments right in the hearth of the city, try the Stephens Hall Hotel & Suites, 14/17 Lower Leeson Street, Dublin 2

They have self-catering facilities, 2 or 3 bedrooms, living room, small kitchen, and are close to all the shops and facilities. you are right in the herarth of things in the city. With a group they are excellent value. Dublin is very expensive to eat out in so a few snacks in the apartment are not a bad thing. My sister stayed there with a large group of her friends from London and they were so pleased with it all.

My second suggestion is not an apartment but a Bed & breakfast. I recently had to find accomodation for 2 visiting friends coming to the city for a weekend. My friends stayed at the Fairview Lodge, in the suburb of Fairview last November.This is not a hotel but a wonderful, fabulous Bed &and Breakfast or B&B . It is not quite in the city centre (approx 2 miles) but beside very good transport links (Bus approx 7 mins to the centre). The B&B is wonderful; decorated in period style, warm and cosy, totally spick and span and with top-of-the-range furniture and fittings. It is very professionally run. I visited my friends there one evening and even as someone just visiting them for an hour, I was warmly welcomed and tea and cakes were pressed upon me. The rates are extremely reasonable in expensive Dublin city for the top-quality accomodation and service. After their stay, my friends would not consider staying anywhere else in Dublin.

Hope this helps. All the best.

Stirling.Scotland
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel, B&B, or self-catering???

There is a new website in the UK

eroombidder.com

You can list a wanted ad there free of charge and see if you get any decent offers.

GLASGOW
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel, B&B, or self-catering???

I would also recommend St Stehens Hall Hotel & Suites on Lower Leeson Street. Great apartments very, very spacious and clean.

L