We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Trip Reports - post a link to your trip report here!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Topic
Dublin Trip Reports - post a link to your trip report here!

A number of posters have asked if a trip report 'sticky' could be made where visitors could post links to their Dublin trip reports to make them easier to access.

Once we have posted this thread, TA have agreed to make it a 'sticky' which will sit permanently at the top of the Dublin Forum.

So for convenience and ease of access to trip reports (past, present and future) when you have posted your trip report on the Dublin Forum, please post a link to it here. It's easy to do this - just copy the link that appears in your browser when you open your trip report and then paste it onto this 'sticky' thread.

We will do our best over the next while to locate past Dublin trip reports and link them here. But if individual posters would like to dig up their own past reports and post links to them here, that would be great!

If you have pictures related to your trip report posted on TA or elsewhere on the Internet, don't forget to post a link to them too.

This 'sticky' is solely for trip reports so please do not use this thread to ask travel questions or post any other material.

Happy reading!

113 replies to this topic
61. Re: Dublin Trip Reports - post a link to your trip report here!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, April 14, 2013

62. Re: Dublin Trip Reports - post a link to your trip report here!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, April 14, 2013
Edited: 7:35 pm, April 14, 2013

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
144 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Dublin Trip Reports - post a link to your trip report here!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k64828…

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
64. Re: Dublin Trip Reports - post a link to your trip report here!

Tripadvisor's suggestion is best - tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186605-c100253/Dubli…

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Dublin Trip Reports - post a link to your trip report here!

CIE Pub and Folk tour review

tripadvisor.com/…49521125

Alice Springs...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Dublin Trip Reports - post a link to your trip report here!

So, I thought I'd give a quick summary of how my Lyca SIM card went. Well, it was .99 cents (Euro) to purchase the sim from the airport which was very handy. it was convenient to charge it up online and I chose the data pack of 350MB for my 7 days in Dublin.

The idea was to have the capacity to tether my friends' devices to it so we could both access the internet without the usual added costs. No go. It was excrutiangly like dial up speed. HOwever, for the rest of my travels around Dublin I had constaht access to the Internet. And I could make cheap local calls.

My friend had the Lyca as well for international calls and smses. No issues at all. Lyca doubled your top up when you recharged.

Would I use lyca again for Dublin. Not likely. I need something that is either real 3G or 4G as lyca purports to be.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Dublin Trip Reports - post a link to your trip report here!

Ireland - part one: pamhoughton.com/2013/09/ireland-part-1.html

Ireland - part two: pamhoughton.com/2013/10/ireland-part-two.html

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Dublin Trip Reports - post a link to your trip report here!

Spent two weeks in Ireland, 4 days in Dublin and about ten on the West Coast.

I started with the last day of the trip.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k70112…

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
196 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Dublin Trip Reports - post a link to your trip report here!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k68533…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Dublin Trip Reports - post a link to your trip report here!

We coordinated a trip to Dublin, Ireland through Gate1 to take place in late February 2014. We also opted for the 3 prepaid tours offered and available in their website: the Dublin Bus (Hop on-off bus); the Guinness factory and the Wicklow Mountains tour. We did not buy transportation from the airport to the hotel because there is a shuttle bus right outside the luggage claim area that takes you downtown (round trip 14 euros). You can buy it at the airport exchange counter if you need to get euros or at the booth outside. They run every 15 minutes, they are comfortable, the luggage goes in the various compartments and you can enjoy the first views of Ireland in a relaxed way. The stops are well chosen. Ours left us only two blocks away from our Hotel. Very convenient!

We did not know that the "Dublin bus" was good for 48 hs. (instead of just the 2 hours mentioned in the description; that would be the length of the round trip if you stayed in the bus) and that it could be coordinated with the Guinness factory tour, so that was a "plus". We walked the first day through every single street, avenue and neighborhood and the next day, taking the bus, allowed us to "re-visit" those places we really wanted to spend more time at. Be aware that the voucher says "Grey Line" but that is the name of the operator. In fact the bus is RED, and it is the Red line that you have to take in O'Connell Street, it is also where you have to exchange your vouchers the exact day of the tours (although not the Guinness one that you present directly at the factory avoiding a long line). The next day we took it to revisit St. Patrick's and other spots. The Temple bar was a BLAST!!!! Live music and the most wonderful cheerful atmosphere. The entire area is worth walking around for hours!

The whole trip went very smooth; the tour guides were very knowledgeable, more like history teachers and anthropologists, with a nice sense of humor and a lot of love for their City and Country. Just to take into account, some of the buses do not have automated or recorded descriptions that you can hear with headsets (provided) in your language of preference. In some coaches, the driver is also the tour guide so you will hear a nice Irish accent, but there is no translation. The Wicklow Mountains tour was kind of a magic trip - if you happen to have John Murray as your guide, he is FABULOUS! (Say hi! to him from Argentina!). We took other tours since we took advantage of our time wisely and that left us with more time to get to know a little bit more of Ireland. (My recommendation is Brú na Bóinne and Newgrange (tour by Mary Gibbons): may be Gate1 could work some arrangement to offer this tour too! It is really awesome!!!!)

The Mespil hotel was also a great part of our feeling of well-being: the staff is friendly, helpful and very patient with their guests and their breakfast is solid great! It is very well located in a nice borough, steps away from the Grand Canal, and at a walking distance from downtown. It is super clean and neat.

All in all the experience was fantastic! Thanks to everybody who made our trip so enjoyable, Namaste!

Reply to: Dublin Trip Reports - post a link to your trip report here!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted