We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandy Beaches Nearby

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
113 posts
20 reviews
Sandy Beaches Nearby

I hope to take my girlfriend to Ireland for the first time in July. I'm not a beach person but she has announced that she wants to spend sometime on a lovely sandy beach and perhaps swim in the sea!

Much as I love Ireland (mum is from Booterstown) I wouldn't say Ireland is best known for beaches.

I know of Brittas Bay but it's a distance away and I've heard there has been lots of erosion recently.

Could anyone suggest a clean, sandy beach near Dublin.

Many thanks

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
7,899 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Sandy Beaches Nearby

goireland.com/dublin/beaches-in-dublin-count…

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,235 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Sandy Beaches Nearby

I would really recommend Portmarnock Beach. It's my favourite and by far the best and cleanest sandy beach in Dublin. A really beautiful spot on a sunny day :-)

It's a bit of travelling from the city, but you can catch the Dart as well as the the 42 bus from Lower Abbey St

dublinbus.ie/en/…

32a/32b from Eden Quay

dublinbus.ie/en/…

dublinbus.ie/en/…

Dollymount Strand is closer to the city but it's not that clean and I wouldn't recommend.

Edited: 6:42 pm, May 20, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
172 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Sandy Beaches Nearby

I would agrre with Suzy about Portmarknock, Its my favourite beach in Dublin, but if I want somewhere closer to the city I would definitely chose Dollymount, Its only 15/20 mins on the bus (number130 from Lwr Abbey Street or you can catch the Dart to Clontarf Road Station and walk about 10/15mins along the coast road) Dollymount has improved a lot in recent years and I would definiteky recommend it, I go regularly and actually plan to go there on Saturday as the weather is supposed to be lovely, Imo it's really not that dirty anymore, theres a lot of watersports and windsports that take plave along the strand now and its fun to watch a lot of people kite-surfing. If you get the weather Dollyer can be heaven and theres always an ice-cream van on the beach and theres a chipper (chip shop) on the main road from the beach you fancy a one and one on the way home :)

enjoy the seaside in Dublin wherever you go, hope you get the weather.

UK
Level Contributor
113 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Sandy Beaches Nearby

Thank you very much. It's always good to here from people have actually visited rather than rely on the tour book.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
696 posts
40 reviews
5. Re: Sandy Beaches Nearby

Hi

I Agree with feno about Dollymount beach much cleaner than it used to be

You'll need to check the tides or you'll have a long walk out to the sea to take a swim!

Portmarnock has a lovely beach too

But my favorite beach is Donabate

Vales

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,185 posts
113 reviews
6. Re: Sandy Beaches Nearby

Another vote for Portmarnock!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
7. Re: Sandy Beaches Nearby

This link has lots of information on Dublin's beaches.

independent.ie/travel/inside-ireland/the-ult…

We live close to the beaches on the Donabate/Portrane peninsula in North County Dublin which are semi rural and, in the case of Donabate, pretty vast. The small Tower Beach at Portrane is a nice spot for a swim and the easy cliff walk from there to Donabate beach is pleasantly scenic. The beach side patio of the Waterside Hotel at Donabate is a lovely place for a drink and in good weather you could almost believe you were in the Med!

If you are using public transport take a northern commuter train from Dublin city centre to Donabate (about 25 mins). The regular 33b bus goes from there right up to Portrane beach. Donabate beach is about 2km from the railway station (it's a straight road from there to the beach). There's a taxi office in Donabate Village, just around the corner from the station and the Waterside Hotel has a free shuttle bus for customers.

www.irishrail.ie

http://www.watersidehousehotel.ie/

www.dublinbus.ie

If driving, exit the northbound M1 at Junction 4 and head the 4km to Donabate. Everything is well signposted from there. There's plenty of parking close to all of these beaches.

Edited: 6:56 am, May 22, 2010
UK
Level Contributor
113 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Sandy Beaches Nearby

Thanks. Another helpful reply. Just what I expected from an Irish forum! Mind you mum is Irish (hence my nom de plume) so I am biased. She left in 1957 so current knowledge lacking. Hence the enquiry. However she did mention a beach that you can drive right up or even on to. Is that Donabate?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
9. Re: Sandy Beaches Nearby

Until recently, you could drive right onto Donabate beach (although not right along its 3.5km to protect swimmers and other beach users). The beach has been closed to cars for a while now and a new free public car park has opened nearby. It's so much nicer as a car-free zone. The activities of 'boy racers' driving around the beach, dunes and water's edge at speed doing handbrake turns was not only dangerous for kids and other beach users but it really wrecked the peace and quiet in this semi-rural haven. We've also had to help a number of visitors dig out their cars from the soft dunes at the rear of the beach and on more than one occasion have seen a car captured by the rising tide!

The beaches at Rush, north of Donabate, could also be driven onto by cars but have now also been closed to traffic. In fact, Fingal County Council which is responsible for all North County Dublin beaches have now banned traffic from all of them. We're not sure if you can still drive onto Dollymount Strand (under the care of Dublin City Council, it was traditionally used as a practice ground by many of Dublin's learner drivers over decades!).

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
696 posts
40 reviews
10. Re: Sandy Beaches Nearby

Hi Sweeney

You used to be able to drive on Dollymount Beach / Bull Island.

Many people had their first driving lesson on Dollyer

Now days there are designated parking areas. Either drive across the wooden bridge past the Royal Dublin Golf Club and down onto the beach

or drive over causeway which also leads to an interpretative centre and St Anne Golf Club.

If the tide is out your grilfriend could swim off the steps near the wooden bridge

…ggpht.com/_3yRBqaBTF-E/…IMG_8847.jpg

In this photo you can see cars parked on the top left hand corner of the pic. This photo as taken from the wooden bridge end of the beach

Vales

Edited: 11:54 am, May 22, 2010