We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good, reasonably priced restaurants near Conrad Dublin

Canton, Georgia
Level Contributor
537 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Good, reasonably priced restaurants near Conrad Dublin

I read all the recommendations for restaurants in Dublin, but have no idea how close they are to where we are staying. We will be at the Conrad Dublin, near St. Stephens Green, for 3 nights and won't have a car for that part of our trip. Can anyone recommend good, reasonably priced restaurants or pubs within walking distance of the hotel? We usually eat an early dinner, so early bird specials would be great. Don't need anything too exotic - burgers, soups, seafood, sandwiches, etc. would be great for us. Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good, reasonably priced restaurants near Conrad Dublin

Here's a map of Dublin. To help you get a sense of scale. For instance, walking to from the Conrad on Earlsfort Terrace to the top of Grafton Street at St. Stephen's Green will take about 10 minutes.

visitdublin.com/pdf/DublinCityStreetMap.pdf

All of these restaurants are within about 15 minutes' walk from your hotel. Some are more casual than others and many do early bird menus:

Green 19, Camden Street

Il Primo, Montague Street

Harry's Cafe, Dawson Street

The Farm, Dawson Street

Milano's, Dawson Street

The Steps of Rome, Chatham Street

Pasta Fresca, Chatham Street

Saba, Sth William Street

Wagamama, King Street

Pearl Brasserie, Merrion St

The Unicorn, Merrion Row

Bang Cafe, Merrion Row

Hugo's, Merrion Row

La Mere Zou, St. Stephen's Green (on the same side as the Shelbourne Hotel)

Peploe's, St. Stephen's Green (Shelbourne side)

Il Posto, St. Stephen's Green (Shelbourne Side)

Dunne & Crescenzi's, South Frederick Street

Diep le Shaker, Pembroke Lane

The Pig's Ear, Nassau Street (formerly Jacob's Ladder)

You might also want to consider eating in a pub. Pubs within about 15 minutes walk or so with decent food include:

Davy Byrne's, Duke Street

The Bailey, Duke Street

O'Neill's, Suffolk Street

The Stag's Head, Dame Court

The Porterhouse, Nassau Street

Foley's, Merrion Row,

Searson's, Baggot Street

The Market Bar, Fade Street

You'll also find lots of cafes in the streets between Grafton Street and Sth Great George's Street.

Sth. Great George's Street also has a concentration of informal restaurants and cafes.

You can find out more about these and other restaurants on these sites:

www.ireland-guide.com

www.menupages.ie

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good, reasonably priced restaurants near Conrad Dublin

tapl as usual has given a great list there.

From his list I would recommend Steps of Rome for casual and very authentic slice of Pizza. More Rome than US style and mostly a take out sort of place.

Gotham Cafe is my favourite place for Pizza in Dublin if that takes your fancy. The Duck Pizza is fantastic. http://gothamcafe.ie/

For Thai/Vietnamese Saba is a great option. They are doing a great all day menu. 2 Courses for 15E. Diep le Shaker is a more fine dining sort of Thai, who also have great value for early birds.

I ate in Hugo's last night, and the quality of their food has improved since my last visit, so I would recommend that. It also has a very relaxed/chilled sort of setting.

The Chatham Brasserie is another decent option. They offer 2 two course meals + a bottle of wine for 45E. Or 2 courses for 17.95. They do decent steaks/burgers, soups, seafood etc. http://www.chathambrasserie.ie/?section=63

Odessa is another option http://www.odessa.ie/menus.php. Two courses for 17E. Good quality food. I think they do seafood very well.

If you fancy a take out sandwich at any stage. I would recommend the Pig & heifer. It is a New York style deli, that imo do the best sandwiches in Dublin, and it is just a few minutes walk from your Hotel. http://www.pigandheifer.ie/our-menu.html.

For all around great cheap food in a casual setting, there is also Gruel on Dame St.http://www.menupages.ie/search/restaurants/gruel/menu.aspx. This to me is a slice of modern Dublin. Very casual place with fantastic food. Always has a fresh joint of the day, sliced into huge sandwiches, and a myriad of other good options.

There are some good seafood places that might be less casual than your post implied. Burdocks is a take away fish & chip joint. Just a short walk from your Hotel and highly recommended. leoburdocks.com/Leo_Burdocks/Welcome_leoburd…

Canton, Georgia
Level Contributor
537 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good, reasonably priced restaurants near Conrad Dublin

Thank you both SO much for the list and the map. I am intrigued by the pig and heifer --- love the name and being originally from New York and unable to get a decent pastrami on rye here in Georgia, it is making my mouth water already! I will research all the recommendations thoroughly, but I'm pretty sure the pig and heifer will definitely be on the plans! We are certainly looking forward to visiting your country since everyone here on TA has been so nice, friendly and helpful. Thanks again!

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good, reasonably priced restaurants near Conrad Dublin

PM, I love Pig & Heifer. Just bear in mind it is Dublin and not NY. You wont get a Zabars pastrami on Rye, but it is definately the closest we have ;)

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,390 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good, reasonably priced restaurants near Conrad Dublin

DM, The Steps of Rome...that's the place across from the Westbury, right?

We at there BC (before children) but moved towards Pasta Fresca for Italian lunch (pasta, pizza, salads) for some reason - which is better across the board (I'm guessing it wins from a Pizza pov?:)

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,390 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good, reasonably priced restaurants near Conrad Dublin

which is better across the board? = a question, it looks like a statement when I reread my post!

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good, reasonably priced restaurants near Conrad Dublin

Ferdia imo Steps of rome serves better pizza, no contest, but it is very cramped. Not a comfortable place to hang out, and if with any sort of a group, doesn't offer much comfort. In those terms Pasta Fresca would win out.

Gotham Cafe on Sth Anne St is fantastic for Pizza. It is very Comfortable, has great service and always busy.

However I haven't eaten from the extensive menu of questionable ethenicity other than the Pizzas. Though my friends rate those dishes well too.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Good, reasonably priced restaurants near Conrad Dublin

My wife did an Italian course last autumn and the course tutor, a young Italian woman living in Dublin, reckoned the best places for the most authentic Italian pizzas in Dublin were the Steps of Rome and Da Pino in Parliament Street.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,390 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good, reasonably priced restaurants near Conrad Dublin

DM, pizza is for the younger crew - so they gear the ship, hard one! Thanks for the advice. Your description of the pizza at the SOR sounded.... tasty:)

Tapl, re Da Pino in Parliament Street, is that close to the Shelbourne and do they offer other decent Italian cuisine?

We've nothing booked and will be hoping to try a few places beyond the usual, but need to squeeze it in with the concerts so might be using our hotel's facilities.

Also, U2 paraphernalia at the HRC will be as usual; a draw.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Good, reasonably priced restaurants near Conrad Dublin

Da Pino is opposite the City Hall, on the corner of Parliament Street and Lord Edward Street. It's about 15 minutes' walk from the Shelbourne. It's a slightly old fashioned but friendly restaurant that serves fairly no nonsense Italian standards which are great value for money. They're also good with kids.

http://www.dapinorestaurant.com/1/Home.html