We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental companies (specifically Auto Europe)

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
108 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental companies (specifically Auto Europe)

Has anyone rented with Auto Europe? If so, how was your experience?

ACE and EZ seem to be cheapest but have horror stories all over the internet. Auto Europe is next, but I don't know much about them. Hertz is after that, and they are reputable here in the US so I am assuming it's the same in Europe.

The pro with Auto Europe is that they have pick-up locations downtown. Their inital price is also lower than Hertz, but looking at their website they seem to have a lot of hidden/tacked on fees...

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental companies (specifically Auto Europe)

We always use Auto Europe for Germany and Ireland, the countries we go to the most. No hidden charges.

In Ireland pay with World Mastercard, for the CDW.

They are good to deal with. Can't understand your

last sentence. Why we like them: the end price is

what you pay. In the end, go with who you feel comfortable with. Have a good trip. Frank

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental companies (specifically Auto Europe)

Here is what I am referring to about the extra fees:

RENTAL DOES NOT INCLUDE

* Rental excludes Collision Damage Waiver Rental excludes Theft Protection.

* Insurance coverage for personal injuries to driver or damages to vehicle. Optional coverage may be offered locally for an additional fee.

* Cars are rented with a full tank of fuel (client will be charged at pick up) and should be returned empty. No refund for unused fuel.

* Pick up location surcharge of approximately €37.45. * Vehicle License fee of approximately €2.27 per day. * Credit Card processing fee of approximately €3.45 per rental. Domestic One Way fee of approximately €50 - €250 depending on car category and location may apply. Local toll, highway fees or travel stickers which may be required by local authorities

* Rentals exceeding 35 days will be subject to an additional 7.5% VAT, paid locally, from the 36th day onwards.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental companies (specifically Auto Europe)

"Credit Card processing fee of approximately €3.45 per rental. "

And THAT is why I no longer use Auto Europe. What a ripoff.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental companies (specifically Auto Europe)

We booked AutoEurope via our travel agent. The rate is prepaid. We received a voucher. I don't know how it will go, we are picking the car in Shannon this coming Saturday. We just can't wait!!!

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental companies (specifically Auto Europe)

If you have problems with Auto Europe, choose another

car rental company. In September I am picking up a car near the Munich airport for 2 weeks and I am also

picking up a car at the Dublin Airport for 7 days.

I am satisfied with their service, so that is why I use them. I have a print-out of the transaction and it does not have those surcharges. Go with the one

that you have the least problems with.

Good Traveling!

Frank

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
170 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental companies (specifically Auto Europe)

We had good luck with Enterprise. The rate for a Ford Galaxy minivan that held 5 adults and all our luggage very comfortably was $428 US for a week in May- by far the best we have ever done compared to 2 previous trips in July where an Opel Zafira ran around $800+ US.

Re: AutoEurope- can't speak to their Irish operation, but the line at their counter in Lisbon was out the wazoo.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental companies (specifically Auto Europe)

"Re: AutoEurope- can't speak to their Irish operation, but the line at their counter in Lisbon was out the wazoo."

Maybe you've confused them with Europcar or a similar name? AutoEurope doesn't have counters at airports, they are a consolidator. You contract with them and then they tell you what company you're dealing with. Similar to Priceline in a way.

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental companies (specifically Auto Europe)

I guess you don't even have to say CDW anymore.

Just say the ad infinitum topic. I have said before I use Auto Europe.

For the CDW in Deutschland, I pay with my Amexco card. I am signed up to automatically to receive their special coverage for a charge of approximately $25. This is done automatically when you charge the car with AMEXCO. Sometimes with priceline I have to

call the special auto insurance desk at AMEXCO and

remind them that I rented a car and need the insurance. This special insurance is very good. Also at a good price. If you don't want the coverage, use another card besides AMEXCO.

For the CDW in Ireland, I pay with my World Mastercard. Last time was at the Cork Airport.

I believe it was Avis and I am using Avis this September in Dublin.

Have a great trip. I know I will. Frank

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental companies (specifically Auto Europe)

You are right. They pick the company.

No problem. I like who they pick. Frank

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental companies (specifically Auto Europe)

With regards to someone saying I lost approximately

$5 for some service and I am not going back to them. It's the oldstory. I don't mind a little BLANK, it is the big BLANKS that bother me.

Hope I haven't been too blunt on this one. Frank