We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Ireland and son got Mowhawk hair style- Bad idea?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
63 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Coming to Ireland and son got Mowhawk hair style- Bad idea?

I am bringing my 18 yr old son and a friend to Dublin at the end of the month. On a bet he got his hair cut into a mowhawk. It looks really really bad if you ask me - but I'm his mom. We are American's and I am worried about sticking out to much. He is very tall 6'7" and now with stupid hair it just worries me. Am I making to much of this? He has a pretty even temperment but I don't want to elicit trouble in pubs or anywhere for that matter. I don't want to force the issue about cutting it off if it doesn't matter. Thanks again!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,638 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Ireland and son got Mowhawk hair style- Bad idea?

Your son is 18, old enough to take responsibility for himself.

Sure, he'll stick out, but at 6'7" he'd stand out anyhow.

I know you're his Mum and you worry and you see things far more intensely that anyone else does (I've got a 16 going on 17 year old daughter who is just emerging from her goth phase and promising to change her pink/black/red-orange hair to blonde over the summer, lol!!).

But your son will be fine. If necessary, get him to brush it down. But I honestly don't think there will be a problem.

And yes, sigh, its difficult being a Mum. I know. They don't warn you about Goths and Mohicans in the maternity hospital ((( huggy )))

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Ireland and son got Mowhawk hair style- Bad idea?

Don't worry about it, people don't tend to make an issue of teen appearance, and we have some doozies of our own. He might get a few smart remarks in pubs, but it would be good natured - if someone is out looking for trouble they don't need reasons.

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Ireland and son got Mowhawk hair style- Bad idea?

Just make sure that he doesn't bring his

tomohawk. Have a great trip. Frank

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
63 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to Ireland and son got Mowhawk hair style- Bad idea?

Oh thank you all! I feel better. It doesn't bother me that much -it's his ugly mug! I'll just let him be then- bad hair and all.

5. Re: Coming to Ireland and son got Mowhawk hair style- Bad idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:36 pm, June 09, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
551 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming to Ireland and son got Mowhawk hair style- Bad idea?

The 6' 7" will make him stand out more than his hair.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming to Ireland and son got Mowhawk hair style- Bad idea?

And honestly, if anyone in a pub wants to cause trouble, I have a suspicion they'll think twice about picking a fight with a guy who stands 6'7"!

:-)

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming to Ireland and son got Mowhawk hair style- Bad idea?

heajon, I think your post says more about our prejudices in general than about your son's hairstyle. So he has a mowhawk hairstyle. So what? Isn't there an old saying around: Handsome is as handsome does? If your son comes across as nice (which I'm sure he will) then nobody will have any problems with his hairstyle. Anybody who takes exception is an eejit.

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming to Ireland and son got Mowhawk hair style- Bad idea?

Sorry, but what is an eejit. I have not heard the term. Frank

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,204 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming to Ireland and son got Mowhawk hair style- Bad idea?

eejit = idiot, more or less...:)

But while we're on the subject of translations, someone (Whales?) said the other day that Galway might be "full of gurriers" or something like that, during race week...hadn't heard that one.

So...what's a gurrier?