We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation for 2 adults, 3 children

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation for 2 adults, 3 children

Hello,

My husband is from Dublin and moved to the States when he met me about 14 years ago - however, the rest of his family is still in Ireland. We have come over with our eldest child a few times when she was young, but we had twins a few years ago and haven't made the trip to Ireland as an entire family since they were born. (My husband has gone every year on his own, however, and many of them have come to the States to stay with us as well.)

We are considering the trip as a family for next year. Here is my question: it just isn't possible for the lot of us to stay with his family. Where can we go for about a 10-day trip and stay somewhere reasonable that will accomodate 5 of us? Any suggestions?

Any/all help is appreciated. Thanks!

dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
611 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation for 2 adults, 3 children

I know a family from Canada - the man is originally from here -who have seven children!! They come over here en masse at least every couple of years and always rent a cottage close to his family home..this may be the best thing to do if you want to stay in that area...and that close to the in-laws :-)))

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation for 2 adults, 3 children

I know I sound naive, but by "cottage" do you mean like a small home to rent? This is going to sound terrible, but if that is the only option we will do something like that, but when I am on "vacation", I really don't want to do all the cooking/cleaning and if we are staying in a house with a kitchen, that is exactly what would happen. That's why I'd prefer more of a hotel set-up with daily housekeeping, a restaurant to eat in, that kind of a thing. The housekeeping business I do plenty of that the other 350-some odd days of the year!

I know that option might not be available (at least not for less than $300 a night).

I do appreciate the suggestion - and in the end it might be the most realistic of options, but really should have clarified in my original post that I am looking more for a hotel set-up.

Thanks again!

Level Contributor
796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation for 2 adults, 3 children

Check out

rollercoaster.ie/getaway_guide/family_specia…

The Ferrycarrig takes 2ad.3 ch in a room ...but search this site for more on that hotel .

The Quality hotel in Clonakilty and Youghal have apartments attached to the hotel which will fit 5. Also check Shannon Oaks in Portumna Co Galway. They have lodges on the grounds but you use all the hotel facilities of the hotel.

Also consider hostels. They ofthen have family rooms

www.rolfsholidays.com in Baltimore Co Cork is great and

www.sleepzone.ie in Galway is excellent

Another great family hotel is the Carrigaline court in Cork. They have interconnecting rooms. Hope this helps!

Level Contributor
796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation for 2 adults, 3 children

Sorry,I just spotted this was posted on the Dublin forum . Your obviously looking at staying in the Dublin area. I thought you were looking at any where country wide...

Have a look at dreamireland.com/property/Baggot_Rath_-_3_be…

I don't know much about them but Dream Ireland are an excellent company !

Level Contributor
796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation for 2 adults, 3 children

Ok I'll get it right this time. I don't know what the apartments are like but Dream Ireland are excellent usually.....

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,456 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation for 2 adults, 3 children

I second the opinions on Dream Ireland. We had a house from them a few years ago in Kenmare and it was fabulous.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation for 2 adults, 3 children

Make that 3. I've used them a couple of times too. One bit of advice though is that after finding a place there, do a search for it elsewhere. If you manage to get a direct phone number for the place, call and ask if they have any better rates. It's POSSIBLE they will. The adjoining rooms with the common door seems up your alley too. Unfortunately I know some here, but not there. Good luck.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation for 2 adults, 3 children

The Dream Ireland is a great website - thanks for the recommendations and endorsements. As soon as I figure out when we are going to Dublin, I'll post where we decide to stay. Finding accomodations for 5 people anywhere just isn't easy.

Thanks again!

UK
Level Contributor
655 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodation for 2 adults, 3 children

www.gulliver.ie will give you lots of options finding accommodation for hotels as well as cottages

Also try searching phrases like family suites, family rooms, child friendly hotels and then I always email hotels directly and ask if they can cater for a family of 5 you will be surprised how helpful they can be.

If you decide self catering you,as well as dreamireland you have

www.imagineireland.com

www.shamrockcottages.co.uk

www.irishholidayrentals.com

www.selfcateringguide.com

www.irishcottageholidays.com

www.welcomecottages.co.uk