We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theatre? Romantic anniversary location?

Midwestern U.S.
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Theatre? Romantic anniversary location?

I have never been to Ireland, but my husband and I plan to make the trip in Aug. 05 to celebrate our 15th anniv. We plan to spend a few days in Dublin, plan to do the literary pub crawl & Guinness tour. Then we want to get out to see more of Ireland. We won't be renting a car, but would love to take bus or train. I can't decide whether to go north or south or west for a few days. The posts have given me lots of ideas. Thank you!

I haven't read any info about theatre in Dublin. Any advice/recommendations?

Also, where should we spend our anniversary? It is Aug. 4, falling on a Thursday, midway through our trip... We are looking for scenery, quiet, romantic, excellent dinner, great Irish music afterward.

letterkenny, co...
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theatre? Romantic anniversary location?

hi there - for theatre in dublin i would check out what is on in the olympia theatre (they will have a website i'm sure). it is an old theatre and it is right next to an excellent french restaurant, les freres jacques (www.lesfreresjacques) - the food is wonderful and they serve a pre-theatre meal, which i think you can return to after the play to have dessert and coffee. a place outside the city i would highly recommend to stay (and eat, on one of your nights) is kingswood country house in clondalkin. it is lovely old world charm with great service and delicious food. you can read about it on www.adlib.ie, when on the site on location drop down at the top of the page click on north dublin and in the box to the right type clondalkin and that brings you to a review of the places which i second.

if you want to get off the usual tourist track after dublin i would suggest the north west. if you are looking for scenery and irish music and romantic evenings then it is definately what you would want. you can check out lots of details and pics of donegal on my website: www.welovedonegal.com (there are also lots of other bits of info such as opening times, safety in ireland, clothes to bring, etc.).

another place i would recommend for a romantic night is ashford castle in county mayo (you could go there on your way to county donegal). the places is wonderful - really comfy rooms, excellent dining room, extensive wine list which we thought very reasonably priced, and beautiful walks around the grounds. they have a website (www.ashford.ie) and you can check out their facilities there.

hope this all gives you some food for thought.

all the best, catherine

Brussels
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Theatre? Romantic anniversary location?

Theatre in Dublin is very good. And you will be suprised at how cheap it is. These are the two best theatres:

http://www.gate-theatre.ie/

http://www.abbeytheatre.ie/

ireland
Level Contributor
171 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theatre? Romantic anniversary location?

If you are going to the Gate Theatre, you could eat before hand in what is arguably Dublin's best restaurant - Chapter One. It is directly across the road, the pre-theatre menu is very reasonably priced and, if you like, you can save your dessert and coffee until after the show and return to the restaurant to finish your meal then.