We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drinking age

florida
3 posts
Save Topic
drinking age

Im leaving the country for the first time in my life in October to visit Dublin with my twin sister. I am 17 years old and was told that the drinking age is 18. I'll be 17 soon, but not by october. Do most of the pubs and clubs ID? Are there any specific places that i can go to and not get IDed? Please let me know! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,916 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drinking age

I'm confused..."I am 17 years old" followed by "I'll be 17 soon, but not by October"?

Sorry, in either event you're not old enough to drink alcohol in Ireland, and yes, they will check. Especially if you don't appear to know how hold you are! :)

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drinking age

i assume he meant ill be 18 soon. Most places arent that picky during the week, and if you look old enough you're not usually asked. Many the time when i was 17 i got into places just fine. (im just gone 19 now) Clubs and places at the weekend would prob be pretty picky though.

Not that i'd condone that sort of thing.... ;)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,916 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drinking age

And I'll assume that someone with "Theresa" as part of their name is a "she", not a "he". :)

Seriously, not trying to come off as a preacher, but I WON't condone or encourage this kind of thing. It's one thing to be a local, out with your friends, sneaking into a bar or club. We all did it, right? OK, most of us...

I just see it as a different thing entirely for someone who is 3+ years away from the legal drinking age at home (Florida), probably doesn't have a lot of experience going out, to try it in Dublin. Depending on which pub these two 16 or 17 years old wander into, they could get into a place they really don't want to be!

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,019 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drinking age

Hi there, I've just been looking at both this post and your post about Jury's in Ballsbridge.

In this thread you discuss underage drinking, in the other you enquire about proximity to pubs and shops. As Irish Fan has highlighted, you appear unsure of your age.

As the parent of a teenager, who once myself did all the things that teenagers do, I am concerned that your only interest appears to be in things alcoholic. I am sorry to be pedantic but surely travel is to broaden the mind, not pickle the liver. Is this an 18th Birthday present? Will the two of you be travelling alone or with other adults?

Dublin is a wonderful city, there is so much to do, so much to absorb. It has been the home of so many writers (Joyce, St. John Gogarty and others). You can get plastered in any two-bit town. Why not keep your wits about you and have good memories, rather than those of hang-overs and worse.

I'm with Irish Fan totally. Please take care of yourself.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Irish Day Tours
Irish Day Tours
4,908 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland