We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland with Kids

Greenwood, Indiana
Level Contributor
42 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland with Kids

We are planning a trip to Ireland the first week of April. My kids are 12 and 7. Any thoughts or suggestions on activities that would interest kids are appreciated. Thanks

Level Contributor
796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland with Kids

Hi , Which areas do you plan to visit as then you might get more specific ideas but off the top of my head my kids love the following... The Zoo in Dublin, always a great day out. Your 12 yr old will love the Ark in Temple Bar in Dublin, sort of an interactive science place. Also theres a childrens museum in Galway but yours might be a bit big... Horse riding you can do everywhere and will be a big hit. Theres also lots of Karting places etc. Glendeer pet farm outside Athlone is excellent for a visit and I think you can stay on site. In Cork Fota wildlife park is great. Trabolgan is worth a visit , Also my 10 year old loved the Titanic Museum in Cobh. Most towns now have playgrounds . I'm sure you'll get more suggestions if you post your itinerary. Hope this is a help.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland with Kids

Hi - my gang love Bunratty Castle and Folk Park, Birr Castle and Gardens and also the Bog Train.

There is a lovely steam train between Tralee and Blennerville in Co. Kerry and the Aquadome and Aqua Golf are just beside the station.

Clonakilty has a lovely model train museum.

I also second all of the suggestions Gariem has made.

Take Care - have fun.

Greenwood, Indiana
Level Contributor
42 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland with Kids

Thanks for the ideas! We will fly into Dublin and spend a couple of days ourside of Belfast with some friends. So, not knowing Ireland very well, I guess we will stay on the northern half of the island. We will be there for 7 days, probably in Dublin for 2 days and then I thought we would travel to the country for a couple of days and then to the Belfast area for 2-3 days before flying home. Thanks again

Todd, Indianapolis, IN

boston
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland with Kids

goireland.ie

or go ireland.com

or even better ireland.ie

but you knoe all you need is a little local advice.

My father is from Cork. April showers as they say in Ireland but hey it is so un predictable you cannot let weather effect your Irish Experience expect the Worst and you will find yourself at the end of a rainbow.

If you wat to experince the real Ireland and its histeory in April it can be done, with the right gear thats weather gear only, a beat it all atitude and you know wht jkust the willing ness to go with the flow and not stay in the pubbs all week but do not understimate at least two solida days dedicated to the right pub.

Cause when your there lets face you wnat what you here you want what its all about but its so easy to miss the real Ireland as a a Tourist. You got some time but not as much as you want try out Kerry, straight to Ballyferiter, ther ask the publicans the questions thats the bar men in Saoires, etc, get then to tell you the real stories of islanders but respect is the answer to a annual wecome. and this is underestimated understandably by those where our ancestors emmiganted years too may for my genearation to count . Ballyferritar, the blaskets, PEIG SAYERS, every Irish person had to lera the story of her in School in order to pass our big exams equal to a levels or usa ?????????????? ok so I had a great time In Cork, I went to the GAA footaball and Hurley matches I loved the Galway, Cork and Kerry people gained a place in my heart and I booked with goireland.ie from Kilorgan the best, beware of the rest my firend booked with wwww.ireland.ie beware or te rest. Merci, as my Mother would say abien tot