We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan 2 days in Dublin!

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help me plan 2 days in Dublin!

I'm in Dublin the wknd of Sept 3rd and 4th after 3 weeks in the UK. And I then head off for a tour of the south courtesy Radical Travels.

What can I do for 2 days in Dublin? What are some of the things I can fit in? I'll be staying at the Barnacles in Temple Bar.

Some of the things I plan to fit in -

1. Trinity College

2. Dublin Castle

3. Guiness Storehouse

4. Christ Church Cathedral

5. Perhaps a stroll down Grafton Street?

Any other suggestions? Or any passes you'd recommend? Or advance bookings that need to be done? BTW I'm not one for galleries or museums.

Christ Church Cathedral
Architectural Buildings, Churches & Cathedrals, Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites
St. Audoen's Church
Churches & Cathedrals
The Chapel Royal
Historic Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
St. Catherine's Church
Churches & Cathedrals
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,899 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan 2 days in Dublin!

vikram, they have a wonderful hop on/off bus that is 12.50 euro and the drivers point out sites as they go along and you can decided where and when to get off/on....the pass is good for 24 hours....

there is a wonderful place call 29 fitzwilliam that you will really enjoy and also there are some day trips that are very reasonably priced but the most fun we had was the ghost bus tour....it leaves close to dark and i won't tell you about it because it would spoil the fun but it is well worth the ride....

happy traveling......

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,748 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan 2 days in Dublin!

If you want to see some Irish Football, then the Gaelic Football Semi-finals are being held in Croke Park on the 4th September. Don't know what ticket availability will be like but the site address is: www.gaa.ie/

Might be a bit of fun. The Phoenix Park (home of the Irish President) is lovely to walk around and also has the zoo. If you want to visit the Irish Hollywood, take a trip by Dart out to Dalkey. This is a lovely area, by the sea where such Irish notables as Bono, Enya and others have chosen to live.

Bewley's in Grafton Street is an institution and is open again. Pop in for a cuppa.

Take Care.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan 2 days in Dublin!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Oma - that 29 Fitzwilliam sounds interesting, whatever it is. I want to refrain from taking a day trip outside of Dublin as I have only 2 days in the city itself. Besides, I'll be seeing enough of Irish Green for the rest of the week.

beanalainn, while I do love football, I don't want to watch it when I have only 2 days in Dublin. I read about the Phoenix park. Might skip that, same goes for the zoo. Now this "Irish Hollywood" thing sounds different and interesting! How far is this Dalkey? I love Enya, I'd love to see where she lives!

Cheers,

V

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan 2 days in Dublin!

With the exception of Guinness which is about a mile away, all of the places mentioned are a maximum of 10 minutes walk from Temple Bar, so you are well located for what you want to do. You should also consider the Bank of Ireland (formerly Irish Houses of Parliament), which is opposite Trinity in College Green. As far as I know it offers tours of the building during normal banking hours (Mon-Fri). Kilmainham Gaol, (not too far from Guinness), where the leaders of the 1916 Easter rebellion were executed, is also worth a visit. Also close by is St Patrick’s Cathedral, where Jonathan Swift once served as dean. St Michan’s church, which dates back to the 11th century has a macabre display of mummified human remains in the crypt. Handel played the organ, still on display, there. St Stephen’s Green at the southern end of Grafton Street is a great place for a stroll and if you are on a budget and the weather is OK, is ideal for a lunchtime picnic – you can buy suitable quality foods/sandwiches at the Marks & Spencer foodhall on Grafton St. Interesting pubs near Temple Bar are Davy Byrne’s (mentioned in James Joyce’s Ulysses) and Mc Daid’s – both are just off Grafton Street, as far as I remember. A bit further away, Doheny & Nesbitt’s is also worth a visit.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,899 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan 2 days in Dublin!

vikram, you are very welcome....

sorry i didn't explain about 29 fitzwilliam....it was the home of the butler family....they owned cahir castle and the kilkenny castle also....it is of the era of their time and is beautifully kept for visitors to enjoy.....

the hop on/off bus will take you to many interesting sites and you just hop off, see what you want, then catch it again to go on to your next place.....

the ghost bus ride is soooooooo much fun too.....

have a great time whatever you decide to do....

12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan 2 days in Dublin!

Vikram, you will enjoy Ireland...the people were absolutely wonderful and if you drink, you will note that Guiness tastes better there (I'm not kidding)!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,748 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan 2 days in Dublin!

Vikram - you can get the Dart out to Killiney and Dalkey. Dalkey is a lovely town and Killiney (side by side) has a lovely beach. Not up to scratch on the Dart - some of the Dubliners may be able to help with timetables.

Bean.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me plan 2 days in Dublin!

Thank you guys, this is really really helpful!

Dublin IReland
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me plan 2 days in Dublin!

Vikram.. if you go to Dublin Castle, make sure to check out the chester Beatty Library. Its an excellent museum of Eastern culture & religions, with a decent restaurant The Silk Road...

Take the coastal rail ( DART ) north to Howth ,a fishing village about 40 minutes from city center, excellent seafood to be had...

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me plan 2 days in Dublin!

Thanks for those suggestions. Are all these places open on Sunday too? And also I want to be sure that this fishing village you mentioned isn't in Ireland (that's part of the UK) and is a part of Rep of Ireland itself. As I have only a single - entry visa into Rep of Ireland!