We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnighter from London, hotel, pub recommendations?

north carolina
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Overnighter from London, hotel, pub recommendations?

Hi all...

Going to be in London for a week and wanted to come to Dublin for a night.

Got a great flight on Ryan Air and now looking for a room within walking distance to some good pubs.

It will be myself 34, my brother 32 and our Dad 58 (but loves a good pint)

Looking for reasonable price on hotel but location is most important.

Also, as we are Murphy's, we are looking forward to knocking back a few pints. Any local knowledge on some good pubs to not miss. I know there are many, but anyone have any personal favorites? Love to throw darts too...

Thanks in advance,

-Murph' from North Carolina

ps-Is Temple Bar area a good place to spend a Wednesday night in late July? or too cheesy, run-down and overhyped? Thoughts???

Ireland
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnighter from London, hotel, pub recommendations?

I think if you want darts you'd have to head out to the suburbs a bit or at least on the very outskirts of the city. As far as I know they're not a big deal in the city centre. Dublin City is a busy contemporary, buzzy city city at the present, check out the two greyhond racing tracks in the city, they are heard to be a great night out, good food, betting, drinks, only a few minutes from city centre, both venuce recently renovated in recent years. But maybe I'm off track.... in advising you this.......but maybe your da might enjoy it for night... More traditional pub drinkers might recommend The Palace on Fleet Street, Mulligans, Poolbeg Street.?????? Fagans in Drumcondra where our Prime Minister drinks is a suburban pub which used not to allow females in the bar until. well relatively recently??????? But I could be very wrong!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,138 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnighter from London, hotel, pub recommendations?

Hi Murphy - purely on research grounds you might do a comparison between Murphy's Stout and Guinness, when in Dublin. I personally prefer Murphys - somewhat sweeter.

Take Care

north carolina
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnighter from London, hotel, pub recommendations?

Thanks for the input. I look forward to visiting your country, if not for just one night. I know dublin will not give us a true picture of all that Ireland has to offer, but it will be a great night of drinking Im sure.

And yes, beanalainn...we will certainly have to do the Murphy v. Guiness taste test...perhaps, several, in the name of science, of course...Ha!

-Murph'

Los Angeles
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnighter from London, hotel, pub recommendations?

Murph,

Temple Bar is actually a good place to visit both for pubs, food and hotel. I have stayed at the Paramount Hotel and the Temple Bar Hotel on previous visits, and will be staying at the Temple Bar Hotel later this month when I come over to Ireland for the U2 concert. For pubs, Oliver St. John Gogarty's is always fun. You'll find a good mix of locals and people from out of town (other counties in Ireland) and from around the world. The restaurant upstairs is great (my fave is Galway Prawns), and there is trad music on one of the upper levels, and a lively pub atmosphere on the ground floor. Hope you have fun!

north carolina
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnighter from London, hotel, pub recommendations?

Thanks for the advice RedHead. I am envious of you for being able to see U2 in Dublin. I have only seen them once, back on the Joshua Tree tour in Charlotte, NC. Great show with the Pixies opening.

Anyhow, looked at Temple Bar Hotel and Paramount but reviews on this board were less than favorable. As I will have my mom/dad/brother with me, looking for something a little cleaner/less noisy b/c of mom (not a partier) Dad/bro/myself will be at the pubs until late but want her to feel safe and be able to sleep.

Love the location of the two hotel you rec. though. Looking for somethng within walking distance to Temple Bar and Grafton Street area.

Anyone have any suggestions? or is temple bar hotel or paramount worth a shot?

ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnighter from London, hotel, pub recommendations?

I don't know what your budget is but The Gresham and The Royal Dublin Hotels both on O'Connell St. are relatively cheap for their location and are nice hotels. They're only 5 mins stroll to the Temple Bar area which is filled wih lively pubs and restaurants. O'Connell st. is on all major bus routes so you can literally get a bus from there to anywhere in the city. Your dad might like to go to somewhere a little less mad than Temple Bar so if you hop on the number 10 and get off on Baggot street (nice part of town) there are plenty of pubs that would suit him - O'Donoghues serves a great pint!!!