We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair - Hand Luggage

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair - Hand Luggage

Can anyone who has flown with Ryanair tell me how strict they are with measurements of hand luggage please? I'm flying with them tomorrow and my trolley case is about 1cm fatter than it should be, do you think they'll make me pay to check it in? Might end up with a carrier bag at this rate!

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
69 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair - Hand Luggage

The staff have a very good eye for weight and will reject anything with a few grammes above the 10Kg. Size has not arisen as a problem yet, but I use a standard cabin-baggage sized suitcase so it can't get bigger! Try fitting it in the test frame at the airport if you want evidence. Or check the website for any tiny discrepancy between cm and inch specifications!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair - Hand Luggage

Thanks. It'll be under 10kg easily, it's just the 1cm I'm worried about. Should be OK if it's mainly weight they're worried about though.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair - Hand Luggage

Hello Bex

It really depends which airport you are flying from. Many of the check-in staff at UK airports insist on weighing the hand luggage. However, if you are doing the on-line check in, this won't happen as you will just walk in through security with your bag. Then it is up to the security staff whether they accept your bag or not. Again, it depends on the airport as some are much more strict than others. I can't see how 1 cm will make much difference.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair - Hand Luggage

It shouldnt be a problem. At Dublin I never even give them a chance to look at my hand luggage. Just say you have no bags to check in and they probably wont bat an eyelid!

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,283 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair - Hand Luggage

I never have a problem with my carry on hand luggage as the staff are too busy dealing with the people let alone the luggage.

We did meet up with a "tin God" at Alghero airport this year (non Ryanair staff), who seemed disappointed that my suitcase fitted exactly in to the metal frame despite the fact that it measures 2 cm's more than that allowed.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair - Hand Luggage

Depends on the airport. Last time I was in Stansted, RyanAir weighed every bag but didn't check if it fitted in the frame. However the security staff were checking every bag with their frame. Mine fitted in the RyanAir frame but not the BAA frame which needs the bag to go in sideways (my wheels were sticking out).

Dublin Airport will be no problem. They never check with the frame.

If security reject it you will have to check it. - This could get expensive if you've already used your check in weight allowance.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair - Hand Luggage

Had the same experience at Stanstead earlier this year and ended in a row with a couple of "little Hitlers" on the door of the departure lounge, don't they just love to show their authority. They wouldn't let me through with a holdall.

The Dublin airport staff meanwhile seem to be more concerned with the contents than the size of hand luggage. Even the tube of toothpaste had to be discarded.

Wiesbaden, Germany
Level Contributor
20 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair - Hand Luggage

I've been hit for size at Frankfurt Hahn. They would not let me take a small bag on, even though it fits under every other airline seat. They asked to see my carry on in Kerry, although they did not weigh it- shoulder bag- maybe that's why. I just fly BA or Lufthansa now- it ends up being cheaper once you pay the parking, gas to the distant airports, transportation into cities, all the extra fees. Good luck.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair - Hand Luggage

Thanks for the info everyone. Got back yesterday and were fine both ways. On the way out she just looked at our bags and said they were fine and on the way back they didn't even look at our bags! All that worrying for nothing ;-)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair - Hand Luggage

If you can check in on line you 'll have no contact with check in staff and just wheel it through. We always travel with carry on only and have never been weighed, measured or in any way interfered with!