We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel in Ireland, and three to four days car hire in...

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel in Ireland, and three to four days car hire in...

Thanks to the great advice I have received so far on this forum, I have decided to get from the airport to Dublin City via public transport, spend two nights in Dublin, then take the train to Galway for 4 nights, then back to Dublin by train, another night in Dublin before leaving.

Questions:

1. I don't really have any idea of where things are in Dublin. What is a good area to be in, which is close to the train station for the trip to Galway, (Dublin Heuston) and also convenient to getting to and from Dublin Airport?

2. Is Galway a good place to base ourselves for about three days of travel with a hire car? Other options are Limerick and Sligo. We would probably take day trips from wherever we stay. (Or would consider a night or two elsewhere, but have to go back to starting point for train back.) Which area is best for a first-time visit to Ireland? We are a middle-aged couple and would probably be looking for lovely drives or walks, but not 'nightlife'.

3. What would be some good day trips or overnight journeys to do in three days? We don't want to be too rushed, due to it being the end of a long European trip.

4. Should we spend less time in Dublin and more time in the West?

Thanks again for assistance!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel in Ireland, and three to four days car hire in...

p.s. In Dublin we will try to do as much of our sight-seeing as possible on foot, so would like to be centrally placed for that.

Dublin
Level Contributor
793 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel in Ireland, and three to four days car hire in...

1) You can get to Heuston via the Tram Network (LUAS), so look for a hotel along that Line (Connolly to Tallaght). However, it's only about 1.25 miles from the city centre, and I've walked it numerous times, so it's still pretty central.One of the competing bus companies from the airport (www.aircoach.ie) go direct from the airport to numerous city centre hotels. The hotel situation really depends on your budget. You can't go wrong with hotels in postcodes Dublin2 and 4.

2) Galway is a good base, with plenty of options. Plenty of hotels in the city centre.

3) I would recommend hiring a car in Galway for a few days - there;s another thread on this forum re Galway, and things to do. Places like Spiddal, etc. Should be relaxing though, and a nice wind down.

4) city v's rural - the choice really depends on what you enjoy. Dublin has plenty of Georgian architecture, trinity college, museums, Guinness hop store etc, where as the West of Ireland = tranquility, scenery..

I think you've the right balance. Hope the above helps, and hop you enjoy your stay.

Bainbridge Island...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel in Ireland, and three to four days car hire in...

We're scheduled to arrive in Dublin and train to Galway - then spend 5 days driving (same as you.) I chose the Ashling Hotel (www.ashling-hotel.com) because of the reviews and its nearness to Heuston Station. We will stay at The Spanish Arch Hotel in Galway - again because of its location and reviews. (www.spanisharchhotel.ie) We plan on visiting Cong (scene of The Quiet Man movie,) Westport and Donegal. Have fun!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel in Ireland, and three to four days car hire in...

Thanks so much for your advice, Dublinlocal and jFahey.

Dublinlocal, I was wondering what the LUAS was, so now I know! Also, I can't locate on my map of Dublin where the various postcode areas are, so could you please explain roughly where they are? The River Liffey runs through the centre of my map. South of it I have Heuston Station on the western end, and Pearce Station on the eastern end. Trinity College stands out, as does Christ Church Cathedral and Dublin Castle. Where exactly is considered the centre of Dublin? Do you know of a website that might make it all a bit clearer? Thanks also for your confirmation that Galway is a good base. Will check out the other topic on Galway for more information.

jFahey, thanks for the websites for the hotels. Will look at them shortly. Did you do much research before deciding on a car-hire company? I haven't sorted that out yet.

Thanks again to both of you.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel in Ireland, and three to four days car hire in...

Dublinlocal, I've actually found a website with the areas of Dublin marked, so thanks anyway! It is the Welcome To Tourism Ireland site.

Bainbridge Island...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel in Ireland, and three to four days car hire in...

Re car hire - - we went with Budget - - there's a possibility that we might drive back to Dublin for departure so we chose a brand that has multiple locations.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel in Ireland, and three to four days car hire in...

Thanks also jFahey, for your advice on hotels. I think we will also book the Ashling Hotel for our first night, before taking the train to Galway. When we arrive back for two nights, I may try a different hotel closer to the centre.

Am soon to also check out the hotel you mentioned in Galway, as I am looking for one convenient to the railway station, but also in a nice area. I guess it also depends on when we hire the car and where we will get it from. Will probably have the car for four days altogether.

Cheers!

Adelaide