We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hour layover in Dublin, do we have time for anything?

San Francisco...
4 posts
6 hour layover in Dublin, do we have time for anything?

Hello! My husband and I have a layover in Dublin on our way to Milan from the US. Our flight is scheduled to land at 11:50am and our flight to Milan is at 6:20pm.

Do we have enough time to leave the airport and do something? We do not have to pick up our luggage, that will be transferred to our final destination, so we will only have our carry on items.

We want to take in to consideration going through customs and back through security. We are not sure how long those lines can be (in the US, it can take some time).

We aren't picky and we don't have to go to the city centre, if there is something anyone can suggest we do that is close by? We just don't want to stay in the airport the whole time. Perhaps something with a nice site and where we can have a late lunch? Also any transportation suggestions to and from the airport would be great!

Any help would be so helpful, thank you!

8 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
280 reviews
1. Re: 6 hour layover in Dublin, do we have time for anything?

you could get a taxi to Malahide and have a nice lunch there, maybe a stroll too.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,646 posts
188 reviews
2. Re: 6 hour layover in Dublin, do we have time for anything?

Agree with the suggestion of Malahide, a lovely spot to enjoy some fresh air etc.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
11,199 posts
230 reviews
3. Re: 6 hour layover in Dublin, do we have time for anything?

Yes taxi to Malahide Castle. Stretch your legs take a walk around the Gardens then pop into the Avoca there for a look around and some delicious fresh food. Head back to the airport and be there at least 2 hours before departure.

https://www.malahidecastleandgardens.ie

Schertz, Texas
1 post
1 review
4. Re: 6 hour layover in Dublin, do we have time for anything?

Traffic is crazy in Dublin. Do try to get back two hours in advance.I remember walking a good distance from the time I entered the airport and got to my gate it probably took me 40 minutes .You could go to the pub in the airport and enjoy a few pints.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
367 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: 6 hour layover in Dublin, do we have time for anything?

Howth would also be an option - especially if you like seafood. Lovely little fishing village about 30 mins from the airport.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
5,350 posts
351 reviews
6. Re: 6 hour layover in Dublin, do we have time for anything?

Well I will be visiting Howth tomorrow. Give me a wave if you see me. A nice Seafood Chowder in Crabby Joe's and then some fresh fish to take home from Dorans.

A stroll around and then home on the DART. Can't be bad.

www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/howth

http://www.crabbyjos.com/

http://www.dorans.ie/

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
111 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: 6 hour layover in Dublin, do we have time for anything?

I would tend to agree with other posters and run with Malahide, lovely little coastal town. You run the risk of getting stuck in traffic etc if you go into city centre when its just 6 hours

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41,751 posts
674 reviews
8. Re: 6 hour layover in Dublin, do we have time for anything?

"Our flight is scheduled to land at 11:50am and our flight to Milan is at 6:20pm. "

If you are big beer fan and like Guinness, I would try to get to the Guinness Storehouse in this time frame personally.

Reply to: 6 hour layover in Dublin, do we have time for anything?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted