We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Airport Car Hire

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Dublin Airport Car Hire

Hi everyone

We will be hiring a car on our trip to Ireland at Christmas.

on the Hertz website it states they will hold EUR5000!!! Is this correct or a complete joke?

Just hoping to hear from people who have hired through hertz at dublin airport and actually had that amount of money held on their card.....that's pretty much all our spending money that would be held for a car. Thanks in advance.

12 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,947 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

I have never had a hold put on my card, I always used Hertz. I think that is only if you refuse their insurance.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,211 posts
2. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

The 5000 euro hold only applies if you use credit card or another insurance policy instead of purchasing CDW from Hertz. They have also waived it for me as a member of their frequent rental program, but that is no longer specifically mentioned in their T&C. They will place a preauthorization for the amount of the rental plus fuel and excess if you don't buy full SCDW, so it could be 2000 euro or so in that case.

Holds are not a big deal. It is just a preauthorization, not an actual charge. They just want to know that your credit limit is high enough to get their money if there is an issue. It will drop off of your account when your bank decides to drop it - in my case Chase Bank drops it in about five days. If you have a low limit on your card, ask your bank what it will do to your spending power.

Edited: 8:57 am, September 23, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,021 posts
78 reviews
3. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

the 2000€ hold mentioned above is only if you do NOT use cc insurance and are instead taking hertz own cdw. that will have an excess of around 2000€ which can be removed by taking the scdw offered by them at a cost of around 17€ or so per day.

so three alternatives

1 use cc insurance and leave hold of 5000€

2 take hertz cdw and leave hold of 2000€

3 take hertz cdw AND their scdw, and have no hold other than for fuel which would be returned when car returned with full tank.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,454 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

already well explained by other posters but FYI the practice will apply for all car rental companies....they have to protect their property one way or the other....so the choice is yours.....

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
153 reviews
5. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

I had a card empty for this sole purpose. Mind you it was only 2000 Euro. No issues when I returned the car or credit card charges. The “deposit” never appeared on the card anyway.

Gowanda, New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

I had a HUGE problem with Carhire when I was in Ireland 2 weeks ago. I had prepaid online via Rentalcars.com for a car rental for 6 days through Carhire. When I was picking up the car at Dublin airport, I was informed that I was required to purchase their auto insurance for 530 euro!! I was told Unless I had an actual letter from my insurance company stating that I was covered, they required me to buy theirs... 530 euro!! I offered to show them on my insurers website that I was in fact covered, but their WiFi at CARHIRE“ wasn’t currently working”. How convenient! When I asked if they would put a hold for $5000 on one of my 4 credit cards( all with high spending limits) I was told they couldn’t do that, and that I had to purchase their insurance. Did I mention it was 530 EURO!!!?? For 6 days!!! Instead, I climbed the cement barrier ( ( with my daughter, 70 year old sister, and 80 year old friend)in the parking lot ,and went to Sixt Rent a Car and got a nice nice vehicle for 350 euro, all in...insurance included. Rental cars.com is currently in the process of refunding my money , as I never used the car with Carehire. Rental cars.com informed me that they’re having trouble getting a response from Carhire verifying that I never used their car...gee, SHOCKER!!!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,454 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

wow, 8 posts and 7 about Carhire?......also, where was this?.....the "cement barrier" throws me as I've never seen those in Dublin or Shannon......

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,021 posts
78 reviews
8. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

hes not still on about this, is he? blaming ryanair earlier ! i tried to explain the requirement for a confirmation letter from the cc insurer, but he does not want to listen. he wanted to drive a car with no cdw but leaving a hold of 5000€ when his cc cdw was declined!

by the way, last week i saw the reason for insurance problems for american tourists in ireland.....some bright spark, thinking he was still in america, turned right, across the front of a schoolbus with 70 x 9-10 year olds. result? one write off car, a car following the bus badly damaged, female american passenger with arm and shoulder injuries, several children with whiplash injuries..........luckily all kids wearing seatbelts. firebrigade called out, ambulances called out.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
876 posts
90 reviews
9. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

For my money it is Rentalcars.com and all these other "middlemen" who are at fault here, we had a dreadful experience here in Scotland in Paisley just 6 miles form our home address.

It's all to do with buying the middleman's insurance and then going to collect your hire vehicle only to be told that insurance is invalid you need to buy theirs. When we go abroad we always deal directly with the car hire firm but we hadn't realised we could get conned in our own country...........a lesson learned!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,021 posts
78 reviews
10. Re: Dublin Airport Car Hire

there is absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing scdw from a broker ! it will be half the price of the rental company's own scdw, so you are saving money. and when your purchase it, from whomever, you are clearly advise that you still have to leave a hold on your cc and if it is used, then you are repaid by the independent insurer. of course, the rental company who have no connection at all with the independent insurer, will not accept is as a means to avoid the hold on your cc !

you would not be out of pocket so there should be no concern, especially if you take time to read what you are being provided with and how to use it.

there are many many people like myself who take out an annual policy to cover the scdw, and we know that a hold will be required on our cc.

Reply to: Dublin Airport Car Hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted