We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Per person sharing?

Cincinnati, oh
Level Contributor
197 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Per person sharing?

Dumb question, but if a room is stated at 100 per person sharing, it is essentially a 200 dollar room for 2 people? Seems so simple, but the sharing part makes me thing the 2 people split the 100 since they are sharing, but I'm doubting myself here.

Thanks for answering a stupid question, but I'm bored at work here, so humor me anyway. :)

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Per person sharing?

It means $200 altogether.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Per person sharing?

Grease - Don't feel bad, that question actually comes up a lot!

The "sharing" part really means, if you are sharing the room, you pay XX. So $100 pps assumes you are sharing the room with at least one other party and are charged accordingly.

If you are not sharing the room, then you are often charged an additional supplement in Ireland. So while it may be $100 charged to two people sharing, a person who is not sharing the room may have to pay, say, $130.

Kris

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Per person sharing?

What you mean is "so while it may be $200 charged to 2 people sharing". Otherwise your post simply does not make sense.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Per person sharing?

Right, what I meant to type is "So while it may be $100 EACH charged to two people sharing..." I just missed a word.

Sorry for any confusion.

London, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Per person sharing?

Grease, I agree that these things are totally confusing! I think if rates are quoted "per person sharing" then the word room should not be mentioned at all, as they are contradictory. As a rule of thumb, PPS usually means "each", unless a single occupancy supplement applies. Most of the newer and bigger hotels tend to operate a room rate though.. Good luck!

Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Per person sharing?

Not such a dumb question at all, if for instance the mother-in-law comes along it will still be $100 each pps.

Cincinnati, oh
Level Contributor
197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Per person sharing?

If the mother-in-law comes along the price won't change, b/c I'll drive myself off the Cliffs of Moher.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Per person sharing?

LOL!!!!

Oh, that was the funniest thing I've read here!

Friedrichshafen
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Per person sharing?

MY,my,my, willowtree,

so you take pleasure imagening people drive themself off Cliffs when mami i.l. shows up. I knew you have to be english (at least the roots are definitely showing.)

But to be honest, I couldn't supress a broad grin myself.

Thanks for humoring meon a cold and lonly morning at work.

Isle

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
5,128 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Per person sharing?

isle33. Not too busy then?

Thanks for the info on the Friedrichshafen forum. I will be there 24th. April for 4 nights. Can't wait.

Box