We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early to arrive DUB for Aer Lingus to London flight?

Chantilly, Virginia
Level Contributor
496 posts
108 reviews
How early to arrive DUB for Aer Lingus to London flight?

My husband and I have had a great first visit to Dublin! We have an 8:35AM Aer Lingus flight to LHR.

The Dublin airport website says to arrive 90 minutes before European flights but when searching TA for info, I've read some people recommend getting to the airport at least 2 hours early saying the airport can be very busy at that time of day.

We are staying in an Airbnb apartment in Bachelors Walk near Ha'Penny bridge and we are hoping to just catch a taxi from the main road along the Liffy river to get to the airport. Our host told us it takes about 25 minutes to get to the airport and that's about what it took us to get here when we arrived Saturday morning. Not sure if traffic to the airport would be a factor and make the travel time longer on a week day at that time of day.

Any advice on timing to leave Bachelor's Walk and/or arrival time at airport much appreciated!

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: How early to arrive DUB for Aer Lingus to London flight?

It depends on whether you have bags to check-in and, if you do have bags to check-in, how comfortable you are with self-service check-in and bag drop.

Allow 2 hours if you want to do the old-fashioned check-in.

Otherwise 90 minutes is enough if you ok with self-service check-in and bag drop.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,681 posts
226 reviews
2. Re: How early to arrive DUB for Aer Lingus to London flight?

I would be aiming to be in a taxi around 6am.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
204 reviews
3. Re: How early to arrive DUB for Aer Lingus to London flight?

better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
92 reviews
4. Re: How early to arrive DUB for Aer Lingus to London flight?

Early morning is one of the busiest times in the airport.

The new self-service bag check-in / drop facility is much quicker than the traditional method, but it can still be quite busy.

Security queues can be long and random checks are frequent.

For these reasons i would not take any risks and would aim to be there by 6.30, you can always get a coffee or have a wander round the duty free if you've got extra time.

25 mins sounds about right.

Chantilly, Virginia
Level Contributor
496 posts
108 reviews
5. Re: How early to arrive DUB for Aer Lingus to London flight?

OK - thanks everyone for your input! Yes, we do have bags to check but we travel often and should be able to manage the self check-in kiosks.

We will aim to be on the street with our bags looking for a taxi around 6AM-6:15AM at the latest to ensure we have plenty of time. Hopefully, we'll have no issue catching a taxi by Ha'Penny Bridge at that hour. We've seen lots of them throughout the day and late at night.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,681 posts
226 reviews
6. Re: How early to arrive DUB for Aer Lingus to London flight?

Do let us know how you get on and have a safe trip.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,913 posts
7. Re: How early to arrive DUB for Aer Lingus to London flight?

I too would be on the road at six.

Chantilly, Virginia
Level Contributor
496 posts
108 reviews
8. Re: How early to arrive DUB for Aer Lingus to London flight?

We walked out of our apartment at 6AM and to the Ha'Penny bridge and waited just a couple of minutes for a taxi to drive by. Our taxi driver didn't take credit cards so he stopped at an ATM for us and we arrived at the airport at 6:30AM. We did the Aer Lingus baggage self check and there was no line and it was really fast. Super-easy and there was a representative to answer any questions. There appeared to be a tour group in the regular check-in line so that would have taken quite a bit of time. Security was fast and we were sitting down having breakfast by 7AM. No problems and yes, even though we had to leave early, it was nice not to worry about missing our flight.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,972 posts
9. Re: How early to arrive DUB for Aer Lingus to London flight?

You can take the bus ( AIRCOACH.ie / )

from the city and the suburbs to dublin airport buses run 24 / 7

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,681 posts
226 reviews
10. Re: How early to arrive DUB for Aer Lingus to London flight?

Thanks for coming back and filling us in - glad it all worked out for you.