We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin day trip to London or paris

cumberland
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin day trip to London or paris

Hi is it feasible from Dublin to take a flight over to London or to Paris for a day? Plan on leaving early am and returning that same night ... not sure how long would be wasted going through security and customs as we are unfamiliar with these airports

Please advise

16 replies to this topic
County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin day trip to London or paris

You're from Cumberland. Would you take a day trip to London or Paris from your nearest airport? If so then do it from there and spend a night some weekend you have spare.

From Dublin I would say No. Yes it's doable but half the time you'll be travelling to/from the airport/on a plane. Maybe spend a night and get at least a full day in.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,558 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin day trip to London or paris

I'd fly DUB / LHR.

First flight out and last flight home will give you twelve hours on the ground.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,917 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin day trip to London or paris

To do what in these cities?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,268 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin day trip to London or paris

I'd want to be at any airport 2 hours before a flight, as I'm a cautious traveller. So I probably wouldn't do this myself. It would be a very packed day, and my personal view is that London and Paris deserve more than a day trip.

Another argument against is that there is plenty to see and do in Dublin and Ireland, so why spend holiday time sitting in airports and aircraft? Not to mention going to and from airports.

Only you can decide if it's worth your time. I'm sure that others will point out the advantges they see in taking a day trip to London or Paris. I can't see many myself.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,627 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin day trip to London or paris

Have you been to Belfast? what is the rest of your itinerary?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin day trip to London or paris

Fly from Dublin to London City airport as you would have more time then to spend "being a tourist". you could get an early flight with City jet, and 1/2 an hour after you land, you could be at the Tower of London

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin day trip to London or paris

London is just about doable, but would not reccomend Paris, there's just not enough time.

First flight out is to CDG @ around 6.00, last return flight just before 22.00. While that looks promising, it takes around 2 hours to and from airport to city centre, so that does not leave time to see very much. Would consider an overnight trip for this.

cumberland
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin day trip to London or paris

Fushia2014 we have never been to Ireland before so we have not been to Belfast... is that a must see?

We are traveling to see our son who is studying abroad for the semester in Dublin

Was going to do a day trip to Cliffs of moor but read reviews that November the weather isn't always cooperating and would not want to take that long day trip if once we get there it's too windy or foggy and it is closed off.. can you recommend other tours that are must see? Thanks!

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin day trip to London or paris

A day trip to London through London City Airport (LCY) would be just about doable.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,627 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin day trip to London or paris

Nowhere is a must see, but if you have not been to Ireland before I would not waste a day tramping to London or Paris. Belfast is a great little city.

Reply to: Dublin day trip to London or paris
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted