We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Complicated Dual Citizen Question

1 post
Save Topic
Complicated Dual Citizen Question

Ok so I’ll try to explain my predicament as best as I can.. I am from the United States but also hold a UK passport because of my mom. I am studying in Ireland for 1 semester and when I came through customs I used my US passport (a mistake). I didn’t realize this when I came in but because US is non EU and I am staying over three months I would need to apply Ireland Immigration Card and pay a fee of 300 Euro. However I also hold the EU passport.. when I had my meeting with the immigration officer for my card, she was unsure of what to do so she has had to reschedule me. My question is I am going to Scotland this weekend and plan to just use my EU passport to travel but what would happen if I tried to just come back into Ireland with my EU passport? Will I get in any trouble/ will I be registered twice in Ireland? Or could this solve my predicament? Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,071 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Complicated Dual Citizen Question

Those entering Ireland on EU passports are not registered for visa monitoring purposes, so travelling out to Scotland and back should not t be a problem. As a precaution though, bring both passports with you, on the off chance that there is a query on your return

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Complicated Dual Citizen Question

Travel on your EU passport but carry both.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Complicated Dual Citizen Question

If you leave Ireland using your US passport then you will no longer be registered as being here. Returning from Scotland on an EU passport you are not going to be on Irish soil as a US citizen.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,856 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Complicated Dual Citizen Question

Leave on your US passport - re-enter on your EU passport.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Complicated Dual Citizen Question

Leaving on your US passport won't particularly help, as there won't be a record of this.

I don't expect that you have a problem in the medium term, the immigration people should be able to sort you out.

Reply to: Complicated Dual Citizen Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted