We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish Rail - Heuston or Connolly?

Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Irish Rail - Heuston or Connolly?

Greetings!

We are getting to the point in our trip planning where we will soon be able to book rail tickets online. We will be travelling from Waterford City to Dublin on the train, with our hotel being Jury's Inn Christchurch. Which station would you recommend as our final destination - Heuston or Connolly?

The hotel's website indicates that they are both .5 mile from the hotel. Does one station have an advantage over the other? It appears from Google maps that Heuston might be the better choice in terms of time it takes to get to the hotel, but of course, it is always better to rely on someone on the ground rather than a website.

Any information you can provide is much appreciated!

timcan

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Irish Rail - Heuston or Connolly?

Trains from Waterford go into Heuston.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,605 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Irish Rail - Heuston or Connolly?

Your hotel is about 2km from Heuston Station not 5 miles.

www.hittheroad.ie/

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,484 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Irish Rail - Heuston or Connolly?

The station used in Dublin varies depending on which intercity route you take - so it's not an option to chose a station.

It's not very far from your hotel to Heuston but with luggage etc you should consider taking a taxi.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,635 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Irish Rail - Heuston or Connolly?

I'd probably buy s Leap Visitor card and take the 747 bus from Heuston Station to your hotel.

dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/…

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Irish Rail - Heuston or Connolly?

unless you have other uses for public transport in the city, I think a leap visitor card for multiple people is an expensive way to get from Heuston station to Christchurch. I suggest take a taxi (€10 max) or take the luas light rail from Heuston to Four Courts stop, the hotel is 500m from there

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,635 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Irish Rail - Heuston or Connolly?

<>I suggest take a taxi (€10 max) <>

Hmm, €10 is the cost of a one day Leap Visitor Card, which we found a very good value and convenient. And since is it valid for 24 hours, most likely the OP could use it the next day also.

A 3 day (72 hour) card is only €19.50, an outstanding value.

https://about.leapcard.ie/leap-visitor-card

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Irish Rail - Heuston or Connolly?

Yes but the OP says 'we' so presumably they'd need at least 2 visitor leap cards so €20 min. That's why I asked if they have other need to use public transport in Dublin. A taxi would be cheaper if they don't plan to use the transport system in Dublin

8. Re: Irish Rail - Heuston or Connolly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 22, 2018