We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin airport car hire companies - avoid

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin airport car hire companies - avoid

Just if you only really have no other options. I have rented from various companies at the airport, some bookings via Aer Lingus, some with Ryanair. It has never been pain-free. Hidden charges, the hard selling of extras.

On one occasion I used a business issued debt card to pay for the car some 4 weeks in advance plus additional insurance cover (Ryanair), payment went through fine. At the pick up they tried to sell me extra insurance, the insurance I had already purchased 4 weeks earlier, I declined then they said the company debt card was not accepted. Given I had already paid this some weeks earlier I found this slightly confusing. In the end, I had to use a personal credit card and seek a refund.

Also, its takes weeks to get your security deposit back, anything to fleece the customer.

Now I use taxies / Uber, a lot less painful.

16 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,824 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin airport car hire companies - avoid

oh dear. do you never read the t and c when renting a car? all rental companies require you to have a CREDIT card in the name of the renter and main driver. clearly stated with every company. and whatever country that you are renting in.

as regards the extra insurance? again mentioned in the t and c and also by your scdw insurer ! you still have to leave a hold (not a deposit) on your cc for the excess. if it is used, you then reclaim from your independent insurer.

it is all clear and straightforward. all it needed was for you to read the details for car rental.

and your business manager should be aware of these simple facts

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin airport car hire companies - avoid

Perhaps you should read the original post again. Thre rental was paid for some 4 weeks in advance and paid for with a business debit card. If there had of been a problem would it not have been flagged at the point of transaction, some 4 weeks earlier.

Also, extra insurance cover was taken out when the original booking was made, only to be subjected to the 'hard sell' for the same insurance at the desk. Got to make that commission somehow.

For your information rental do companies do accept debit cards as well as credit cards.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,824 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin airport car hire companies - avoid

a debit card will be accepted at a rental desk ONLY if you purchase ALL insurances such as scdw, and tyre glass damage at the desk ! otherwise as stated in their t and c, which you should have taken the time and sense to read, it is cc only. the fact that you had also purchased independent scdw (through car trawler) has NO bearing on the requirement to purchase ALL hertz insurances at the counter! holds etc and later costs cannot be made on a debit card, but ONLY on a cc.

you boobed...get over it.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,771 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin airport car hire companies - avoid

A debit card can always be used to prepay the rental, but not always to provide the deposit.,

This is in the T&C of the car companies and has been discussed here mutiple times. No real point in starting a new thread saying the same thing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin airport car hire companies - avoid

Strange as on their website it does state a debit card is acceptable for both deposit and payment thou it may take a little longer to process, I would have thought 4 weeks being sufficient.

I have rented a car from Avis and Eurocar in mainland Europe numerous times wit ha debit card and it presented no problems.

https:/…Car_Rental_with_Credit_Card.aspx

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin airport car hire companies - avoid

I have had other issues with cars having problems from Dublin airport (this time booked via Aer Lingus), it's not the defect itself, faulty headlights. Its the attitude when you return it, a "could not care less, no apology etc" It's the typical Dublin "who cares" attitude.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin Airport
Dublin Airport
Dublin, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Dublin
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin airport car hire companies - avoid

No need to start insulting all citizens.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,824 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin airport car hire companies - avoid

vultch. did you read my answer? you CAN pay by debit card but only subject to the rules of the rental company. these are that you must take ALL extra insurances offered by the rental company at their desk !

you didnt do that! instead taking the scdw offered by car trawler which was an INDEPENDENT insurance

and why do you expect an apology? they didnt do anything wrong....it was you who boobed.

London, England
Level Contributor
9,530 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin airport car hire companies - avoid

We hired a car in Dublin airport a couple of months ago. Guys at car hire desk very pleasant as I'd read all the T&Cs knew exactly what to expect. No problems at all, pluswe got an excellent free upgrade.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin Airport
Dublin Airport
Dublin, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,824 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin airport car hire companies - avoid

you are to be commended! you did your homework and had no problem. now, if only we could get everybody to be diligent ...........

Reply to: Dublin airport car hire companies - avoid
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted