We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

M50 Toll

Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
M50 Toll

Hi,bringing our car from uk to Dublin at the end of May for a 2 week hol, touring around southern Ireland. We are heading across country initially to Athlone and will be using the M50 to get there.

I know that other motorways have toll booths and you pay as you go,but how do I pay for tolls on the M50? obviously coming from the uk our mobile phones will be on another network and we don't want to incur big data/mobile phone costs, any advise would be appreciated.

13 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: M50 Toll

If you're heading towards Athlone, you can pay at the Applegreen Service Station on the M4 between junctions 9 and 10.

Given the large tolls on the port tunnel and M50, I'm not sure I wouldn't just tough out the journey down the quays in Dublin. Provided you're not trying to do it between 5pm and 7pm, it should keep moving westbound.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,973 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: M50 Toll

If you are arriving on the 6pm ferry from Holyhead I would pay the tunnel toll, It is cheaper than a divorce. We once spent an hour and a half trying to get out of Dublin on a Friday evening, never again.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,976 posts
3. Re: M50 Toll

Outside Dublin port there is a fuel stop called " Topaz "

Go inside and say to the sales assistant you would like

to pre - pay the M50 toll simply give your number plate

registration and get your receipt that's it your good to go.

More info EFLOW.IE /

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,987 posts
205 reviews
4. Re: M50 Toll

Or go with the easy option of paying online within 48 hours whenever you get in to WiFi

https://www.eflow.ie/i-want-to/pay-a-toll/

Edited: 7:44 am, April 14, 2017
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,973 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: M50 Toll

I've always paid at a garage. Go into the first one you come to, if they don't take payment they will direct you to one that does. The longer you leave it the more difficult it becomes, garages within a few miles of Dublin all have the facility, further out - not so much.

I have never had access to wifi on holiday, I don't take a computer with me.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,987 posts
205 reviews
6. Re: M50 Toll

I was talking abou WiFi for their phones. Assuming they're using smartphones seeing as they refer to "data charges" in the post.

You can also pay in advance online which means you can do it before you leave and don't have to stop to pay anywhere.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: M50 Toll

You can pay the M50 toll at any shop in the country that is a Payzone agent.

http://www.payzone.ie

Bangor, United...
1 post
8. Re: M50 Toll

BEWARE....I travelled the M50 Dublin n my Northern Ireland reg car on October 1st 2017 2 directions

DEFINITELY PAID as made a point of going in to Applegreen en route home to do so but 6 weeks later

have received a penalty notice for £11.18 for non payment. Did the lad in Apple green scam me as the papers are full of tales of northern reg vehicles not paying. Of course there's no contact address or phone number on the penalty plus they'd ask for my receipt. Being 6 weeks ago I can't recall if I got one but if I did it's long since binned! Fuming!!

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: M50 Toll

The EU has abolished roaming charges, so don't worry about using your mobile for voice or data in Ireland.

europa.eu/youreurope/…index_en.htm

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,069 posts
78 reviews
10. Re: M50 Toll

as you say, there are oodles of northern ireland cars that try to dodge the charges. and whereas you say that you paid, you have no proof that you did so, so you are now lumped with those who deliberately try to avoid paying.

if you paid at applegreen or any other filling station and were given a receipt at the time, then your reg number would be on the computer of the toll company. the fact that you got the fine shows that it isnt.

i dont see how an employee could give you an official receipt and not log in your number !

by the way, you will find the phone number and email address on the internet !

Reply to: M50 Toll
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted