We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amount of time needed to get through security, pre-clearance

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
9 reviews
Amount of time needed to get through security, pre-clearance

We have a Delta flight leaving Dublin at 10:25 am on a Monday in August with a layover in Boston before arriving in Salt Lake City. How early do we realistically need to arrive at the airport to get through security and pre-clearance? We'll be taking a taxi from the Clayton Hotel, Burlington Rd. I hate it when an airline tells you to be there hours ahead of time and it hardly takes any time.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Amount of time needed to get through security, pre-clearance

Three hours is the recommendation and my experience is that it's accurate. You just don't know when you're going to find a bottleneck. I've had times when I could have done it in two hours and other times when three was pushing it.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,871 posts
88 reviews
2. Re: Amount of time needed to get through security, pre-clearance

Dublin airport is a very busy airport and you need to check in a minimum of 3 hours ahead of your flight departure because of pre-customs clearance. The security lines can be very long. At peak times it can take up to 30 minutes to get through them.

If I were you I'd be there by 6.25am at the latest.

London, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
144 reviews
3. Re: Amount of time needed to get through security, pre-clearance

I travellled through Dublin now 4 times since Christmas, all flights via T1 into Europe.

Longest delay was Sunday afternoon today, along with Mornings the busiest time, today where from time scanned flight ticket i reckon there was minimum 1000 people ahead of me queueing for security scans. Wait time up was suggesting 20 minutes.

From scanning ticket to getting past security check was 19 minutes. Now of course could have got into a slower moving line but even that would only add 10 mins if that.

Now instead of 1 person loading bags at security concveyor and checking laptop, ipad, phone, belt, kitchen sink while everybody fumes behind there are 5 access points to load on conveyor at each machine.

It means the idiot can take as long as they like and everybody just keeps loading and going through.

Really such a huge difference and even security will tell you it reduces travellers anxiety or desire to thump the idiot with the kitchen sink because they see how quickly it moves.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,922 posts
4. Re: Amount of time needed to get through security, pre-clearance

I'd be there by seven thirty if I were you.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Amount of time needed to get through security, pre-clearance

Thanks for your responses. We'll plan on 7:30.

Dartmouth...
Level Contributor
315 posts
176 reviews
6. Re: Amount of time needed to get through security, pre-clearance

We are flying out at 7:30 am on a Friday, so we should be at the airport at 4:30am or is that too early.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,455 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Amount of time needed to get through security, pre-clearance

agree with other posters....absolutely be in the check in line at least 3 hours before departure.....we have exceeded the 3 hours by 5 and 15 minutes.....it takes longer due to the fact you clear US security but when you land at your first US airport you don't have to go through it there......for me it's better to be too early than to be too late as that could prove costly if you have to rebook....

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Amount of time needed to get through security, pre-clearance

"We are flying out at 7:30 am on a Friday, so we should be at the airport at 4:30am or is that too early."

7.30 sounds a bit early for a direct flight to the US, for which there is a 3-hour recommendation.

Where is your flight going to and which airline?

Dartmouth...
Level Contributor
315 posts
176 reviews
9. Re: Amount of time needed to get through security, pre-clearance

We are flying British Air, the flight goes to Heathrow then we have a 2hour layover, from that point it is direct to Boston

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
1 review
10. Re: Amount of time needed to get through security, pre-clearance

2 hours is plenty for a flight to London.