We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slieve League Hiking/Hillwalking

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Slieve League Hiking/Hillwalking

My husband and I have done loads of research for hiking in the Slieve League and know the difficulty/dangers in this area.

We'd like to attemp One Man's Pass. If the wind and weather permit us, how long is the hike starting at the Bunglass car park to the summit?

We have yet to come across a trail map, one that we can print and laminate for our trip in September 2011.

Does anyone have a link for a trail map?

What are your suggestions for the best links to information on One Man's Pass as well as hiking in the Slieve League?

Thanks.

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Slieve League Hiking/Hillwalking

Con't from my initial question:

The route planner says it;s 1 hr from Donegal Town to Teelin (46.35 km).

How accurate is this?

Thanks.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slieve League Hiking/Hillwalking

This Facebook page has a number of links to websites which may be useful - www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=71956836350.

The distance and travel time in your second post seem about right - though note that the car parks at Slieve League are about 4 km beyond Teelin. The road from Donegal to Teelin is OK to drive, though it gets a bit twisty in places beyond Killybegs.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slieve League Hiking/Hillwalking

Meant to add that I don't have information on maps but there might be useful information in a recently published book called Paddy Toye's Donegal - Twelve Walks in the Hills of Donegal. It's a recent publication and includes a section on Slieve League - see cottage-publications.com/cgi-bin/…

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,267 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Slieve League Hiking/Hillwalking

See if anything here helps:

http://www.letswalkdonegal.com/route-maps/

Domhnall mentioned Teelin and Killybegs and they appear on this map from the above link:

letswalkdonegal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/…

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Slieve League Hiking/Hillwalking

@ Domhnall The link for Facebook takes me to my newsfeed and not anything referring to Slieve Leauge.

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Slieve League Hiking/Hillwalking

@Uasal I checked out the links and I didn't locate what I was looking for.

For hiking in the Burren, I was able to print out a map of the Black Head Trail etc.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Slieve League Hiking/Hillwalking

Hmmm - not sure what went wrong with the Facebook link but it gave 3 links with info on Slieve League - I've managed to unearth them and they were as follows:

http://www.carrickonline.com

http://www.nualastarteelin.com

http://www.sliabhliagwalkers.com

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,267 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Slieve League Hiking/Hillwalking

Are these any improvement?

mountainviews.ie/mv/index.php…

mountainviews.ie/mv/index.php?mtnindex=285

www.everytrail.com/fullscreen.php…

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Slieve League Hiking/Hillwalking

@ Uasal I have already researched for a trail map via the mountainviews link and didn't find it. However, I do like the everytrail link, and I'l check further to see if it's what I'm loooking for. Thanks

@ Domhnall I couldn't find what I was looking for, but I'll take another look to make sure. Thanks

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Slieve League Hiking/Hillwalking

Hi, The everytrail looks like the guy you want......if you zoom in, on the satellite view, you can see the Bunglass car park.

I have Lonely Planet's "Hiking in Ireland". They say it takes approx. 1.5 hrs to climb from Bunglass to One Man's Pass, and another half hour to the summit of Slieve League.

Get answers to your questions about Donegal Town