We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

donegal

newcastle
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
donegal

I shall arrive in Donegal on 21/6/10 and leave on 24/6/10. I really need information on what to see and make the most of this short time. My grandmother was born there, but left for the U.S.A. at a very young age. I shall be staying at Harvey's Point Hotel. Any help would be appreciated.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: donegal

Assuming you are travelling by car, the "must sees" are probably Glenveagh National Park and the cliffs at Slieve League.

If travelling to Glenveigh and if both weather and time allow, you could also venture a little further north to Fanad and Rosguill for some good coastal scenery. Note that there is now a bridge linking the northern ends of Fanad and Rosguill - it's recently opened and does not yet feature on many maps.The Glebe Gallery at Churchill near Glenveagh is a nice pit stop for coffee and some nice art if you are in that area.

Slieve League can be visited if you head west towards Glencolmcille. You can do a loop via Killybegs and Glencolmcille and return via the Glengesh Pass to Ardara and Glenties (two pretty small towns) and onwards to Harvey's Point.

Hope this helps.

D.

newcastle
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: donegal

Thank you so much ......I did intend to hire a car to get around.....your information gives me a plan.....

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: donegal

Forgot to mention, in response to your comment that your grandmother was from Donegal, that there is a very good website for Donegal Genealogy if you are doing any research on your Donegal ancestors - see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/

newcastle
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: donegal

thank you again, I shall check it out.....Ravo

5. Re: donegal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 14, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Donegal Town