We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Three Weeks in Donegal Too Long?

Toronto, Canada
10 posts
Save Topic
Is Three Weeks in Donegal Too Long?

We're travelling to Ireland in Sept/Oct 2010 for a month. We like self-catering places and already have one booked for a week on St. John's Point near Killybegs. We love wild country and are most interested in exploring in a pretty leisurely way and have been known on other trips to spend some afternoons looking at the sea and reading.

We're thinking of another week on/near Inishowen and another towards the Bloody Foreland. We're afraid that may be too much time. Would two weeks be more appropriate?

Grateful for all help!

Toronto, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Three Weeks in Donegal Too Long?

Thanks, Stuart,

We've decided on two weeks, one based near Letterkenny and the other near Killybegs. We really want to explore the Fanad and Inishowen and all the wild country we can possibly see. Do you have any tips for off the beaten track, wild

country for us to explore?

Gayle

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Three Weeks in Donegal Too Long?

There are some nice walks along the seashore in and around Fanad Head. Drive as far as the lighthouse and head westwardsalong the seashore by the abaondoned coastguard station. You can loop inland at various points along the coast and head back by road to the lighthouse - though you might need a fairly detailed map to pick up the actual paths and roads from the shoreline up to the main road. The Lighthouse Tavern is a nice quiet spot to relax on completion of your walk.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
187 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Three Weeks in Donegal Too Long?

If you stay in Inishowen, you can also take the car ferry out of Greencastle (I'm pretty sure that's the name of the town) and do a day trip to Northern Ireland to see Dunluce(sic) Castle, the Giant's Causeway and the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge. Maybe even fit in a tour of the Bushmills Distillery. That's a fun day!

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Three Weeks in Donegal Too Long?

There is a scenic drive around Inishowen called the Inishowen 100 (think its 100 kms long ) And that will take you to all the good spots and a day would comfortably do it it starts about 25 miles from letterkenny a tourist office should be able to provide you with a map. Unless you are gettin a good deal on accommodation in letterkenny id suggest you stay a night or two in inishowen for it is quite nice in the summer, right now its not cause im in the middle of lambing and were haveing dreadful weather, if i think on anything more when im not so busy ill pm you

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is Three Weeks in Donegal Too Long?

Hi,

I think the Inishowen 100 is 100 miles long. I'm going to Donegal (from Dublin) for 3 days starting tomorrow, and I've made a Google map. I hope it helps. I wish I had more time because there are so many things I want to do!!

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Cheers!

Justine

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is Three Weeks in Donegal Too Long?

If your looking for Somewhere nice to stay in Letterkenny the silver tassie is a nice hotel located about 6 miles outside the town. I wouldnt be a big fan of letterkenny myself and would advice against staying there as its not the prettiest, Glencolmcille like someone suggested is a lovely area and well worth a visit. But back to Inishowen. There are 3 towns of a reasonable size in it Buncranna which is the biggest Carndonagh which is next and then Moville of these Moville would be my pick.I live in a small seaside village called culdaff which is quite nice in the summer as is neighbouring Malin. Both have small hotels of a basic standard, but there are plenty b & bs scattered around. there is a ferry betwnn greencastle (which is quite near Moville) and Magilligan (in Northern Ireland) it takes about 20 mins and leaves every half hour costs about 28 euro for a return ticket but depending on where you intend to go in northern ireland sometimes saves you very little time. The Giants Causeway in Antrim is worth a look its a unique rock formation and alot of tourists go there it will only take you about and hour from far side of ferry, any questions feel free to ask

17. Re: Is Three Weeks in Donegal Too Long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 03, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Donegal Town