We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12,5 YRS Ann. cottage Donegal

Alkmaar
4 posts
Save Topic
12,5 YRS Ann. cottage Donegal

Next February 15th my wife and I celebrate our 12.5 year anniversary, to surprise her I booked a cottage in Donegal in that week (14-02-2010/19-02-2010) near Cool-Beg/Cool-More. So not too far from Donegal city.

What would one advise to do besides walking on the beaches near Rossnowlagh or shopping in the city?

Are there 'have-to-see' places (like stone ringforts) or 'have-to-eat' restaurants, any famous pub (-s) we could/should go, considering wintertime, the latter would be visited more frequently... ;)

I also plan to go 'daytripping' by car, west from Donegal City/Killybegs near mt. Errigal, but could there be roads closed due to bad weather in wintertime?

Any hint is welcome.

Ruud

Magee Clothing
Gift & Specialty Shops
Donegal Craft Village
Art Galleries, Gift & Specialty Shops
Irish House
Gift & Specialty Shops
Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12,5 YRS Ann. cottage Donegal

Rudd

Donegal Town is a fairly small town with a population of a few thousand, so shopping is not going to take a lot of time!

There are lots of places to visit with a car, but remember that in winter, the days are short and driving at night on small unlit mountain roads is not easy. Roads can be closed occasionally due to snow, but that is rare. The weather is more likely to be wet and windy.

Places to visit include the Slieve League cliffs west of Killybegs and the Glengesh Pass beweeen Slieve League and Ardara - however, these are places to go if you get good weather.

Further north, you can visit the area around Gweedore which has lots of pubs with good music, including Leo's Tavern. Check out www.visitgweedore.com for more information.

Further east, but within easy reach is the National Park at Glenveagh, very beautiful but again, best appreciated on a sunny day. See www.glenveaghnationalpark.ie.

For places to eat see the section on Donegal in www.ireland-guide.com/places_to_eat.html.

However before heading off to visit any of the restaurants or other attractions, check that they are open - many places close in winter.

D.

Alkmaar
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 12,5 YRS Ann. cottage Donegal

Hi Domhnall;

Thanks for you reply.

I know it'll be bad weather in (the West of) Ireland, the same way as in Holland, more rain than actual winterweather...

I'll have a look at the sites you've provided here.

Thanks again,

Ruud

Holywood N Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12,5 YRS Ann. cottage Donegal

HI Ruud - A couple of MUSTS for you.

Donegal town is not that interesting in its self - but a good base from which to explore SW Donegal.

In town - a BIG favourite of ours is having lunch at the Blueberry cafe beside the castle - it's fantastic, and reasonably priced. Everything homemade - and the deserts fantastic.

If you're there on a Sunday - pre-book the Sunday lunch in Castlemurry House in Dunkinney - http://www.castlemurray.com/, in either winter gales, or sun shine the views are fantastic and the food memorable.

Take a run into Ardara (20 minute away) and take a drive out to Loughross Point and also Maghera - STUNNING scenery panoramio.com/map/…1

- go to Nancy's Pub in the town for a lunch of chowder/mussels or smoked salmon and a pint.

Take a run out to Slieve League also

Alkmaar
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 12,5 YRS Ann. cottage Donegal

Hi Ardara1;

Thanks for your reply! I will certainly keep your advises in mind!

It seems to me you like to run, but since the first time I went to Ireland, to me it is unnecessary to run anywhere... ;)

I love Ireland for its peacefulness, especially in the country-areas. I like to go there to relax... It worked for me the last 10 times.

Thanks again

Ruud

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12,5 YRS Ann. cottage Donegal

There's a lovely small, rocky and cove-like sandy beach (as opposed to Rossknowlagh's large, flat and largely featureless beaches) about a mile past Killybegs on the R263 called Fintra - keep your eyes alert as the turning is poorly sign-posted on the left and then the road is a very steep incline down to the car-park but the beach is beautiful and should be quite deserted at the time of your visit. If you plan to visit Slieve League (which is a 'must do' in our opinion) then it's well worth the side-trip on the way...

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,729 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12,5 YRS Ann. cottage Donegal

Hallo Ruud, there's a nice Craft Village in Donegal town (www.donegalcraftvillage.com/) and of course the castle is worth a visit (heritageireland.ie/en/…). A drive up to and around Lough Eske is lovely (a few km northeast of Donegal town). Stop for refreshments at Harvey's Point.

For a daytrip (you don't seem to mind driving)I would suggest the following: follow the N15 from Donegal town almost as far as Sligo. Stop at Drumcliff and visit W.B. Yeats's grave (there's also a high cross in the graveyard). Just beyond Drumcliff cut across to Glencar. The road follows the south of the Dartry mountains with the magical, mystical Benbulben beside you. From Manorhamilton on the N16 you can take the R280 back to Bundoran or the R282 to Lough Melvin. You could even venture further into Northern Ireland to the area around Enniskillen (lovely places around there) but that would of course depend on the weather and how much driving you would like to do.

If you like ringforts and don't mind the drive take the N15/N13 from Donegal town past Letterkenny to the Grianan of Aileach (www.megalithics.com/ireland/grianan/granmain.htm and plenty of other websites). If the weather is kind to you (and I hope it will be) you and your wife will have an unforgettable view from up there.

Enjoy!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12,5 YRS Ann. cottage Donegal

If you opt for Clauds daytrip suggestion then on the way down to Drumcliffe on the left hand road-side just before you get to Cliffoney you'll find a 'hidden gem' in the form of Creevykeel Court Tomb:

megalithics.com/ireland/creevykl/crvymain.htm

It's literally on the road-side (there's a pull-in for about a dozen cars) but it is very rarely visited by folk and you'll probably have the place to yourself - in probably 30 visits or more not sure that we've ever encountered anybody else...

Alkmaar
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 12,5 YRS Ann. cottage Donegal

Dia dhuit, Clauds and ragoora;

Thanks for your hints, I'll print your ideas too like the one from Ardara.

I hope to surprise my wife with some nice daytrips...

Le meas, Ruud

9. Re: 12,5 YRS Ann. cottage Donegal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 13, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Donegal Town