We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation questions

Boston...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation questions

Hello.

My wife and I are hoping to spend a few days in Donegal in mid-to-late July. We would be based in Culdaff but would like to see a little of the west coast. As if this moment we have not yet decided whether to rent a car. If we don’t have a car, here are my questions.

Is there public transport from Derry airport to the Culdaff area?

Is it possible to hire a driver and car for a day, or part of a day, while in Culdaff, and, if so, do you have any recommendations?

Thank you.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation questions

I don't have any information on car and driver hire in the Culdaff area but I would strongly recommend you hire a car at Derry Airport for your stay in Culdaff. Public transport in Donegal is quite limited and I am not aware of any bus service to Culdaff. The nearest locations served by bus on a limited basis are Malin Town/Carndonagh (about 8 miles from Culdaff) and Moville (about 10 miles from Culdaff). Services to these locations are from Derry and are run about twice daily by Lough Swilly Bus Service. For timetables see /www.sjp.claranet.co.uk/nibus/lstt-2008.pdf.

I would suggest that you contact your hotel or B&B for details of possible local drivers but - if you really do not wish to hire a car - I would suggest that you arrange with a local driver from Clonmany to pick you up at the airport. Distance-wise, the airport is about 30 miles from Clonmany, via Derry.

wembley
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation questions

I was going to ask the same question as we are thinking of going to Culdaff later in the year. I have been told it is extremely quiet there and not a lot to do which concerns me somewhat. I have read up about McGorys in the town and it seems a nice hotel. I hope Culdaff is not in the middle of no-where

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,123 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation questions

I would definitely consider Culdaff to be on the "remote" side of things. Meant in a good way if you're looking for peace and quiet, but definitely skewing towards the "middle of nowhere" description too.

It's over an hours drive to Derry and 90 minutes to Letterkenny, so even day trips around area, although "doable", still require a lot of driving.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation questions

Irish Fan - I think you are "cooking" the driving times a little. Culdaff to Letterkenny is 45 miles (about 50 -60 minutes) and Culdaff to Derry is 25 miles (about 30 minutes).

That said, Culdaff is a quiet location and not one to choose if you are looking for partying and lots of activities on your doorstep. However, it is situated in north Inishowen which is a lovely area for touring, scenery etc with several attractions within a reasonable driving distance - if that is what you are looking for.

D.

PS Check out www.visitinishowen.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation questions

Actually, this would be the second trip to Donegal for my wife and me. We were there in the summer of 2001. I rented a car at the airport and my driving experience was not positive, and so my current interest in getting around without driving.

Since my initial post, I was able to find a way to get to Culdaff from Derry Airport without renting a car. Foyle Coaches, doing business as Northwest Busways, runs a regularly scheduled bus from Derry that stops in Culdaff. So what I would need to do is get a taxi from the airport to Derry where I would get the bus, then reverse the process when leaving.

Domhnall, I followed the suggestion in your first post and found a car and driver in Clonmany. It has been almost a week and no reply. Perhaps the company is no longer in business. I had earlier come across the website in your latest posting (visitinishowen) and had emailed them. Again, there was no reply. That didn’t come as a surprise, since the dates mentioned on the home page are 2007. But thanks for your efforts.

(We still haven't decided whether or not we will make the trip.)

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation questions

Rufus

It is unfortunate that you are struggling to get local transportation organised in Culdaff. I don't know if you are have visited that part of Donegal previously but Culdaff is a small village/town and may not have enough amenities to occupy a visitor who is stuck there without local transportation.

I just wonder whether basing yourself in say Derry or Letterkenny - or maybe even Buncrana - might be a better option, as you would probably find it a lot easier to organise transportation (bus or private driver) from those locations, rather than going to a more remote location such as Culdaff.

Fundamentally, Donegal is a great location if you have a car but can be a struggle without your own transportation. However, I can understand how driving might be less than comfortable for visitors in some areas of the county.

D.

7. Re: Transportation questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Donegal Town