We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glenveagh National Park, Donegal

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Topic
Glenveagh National Park, Donegal

Hi all,

Hope you can help.

A small group of us want to visit Glenveagh Nat.Park later this year and I am the nominated organiser.

We will have our own transport, driving from Cork and will be staying in either Hotels or B&B's.

At the moment we have agreed that we will stay there for three days and nights, but we are open to suggestions on that.

I have looked at www.glenveaghnationalpark.ie

www.mountaineering.ie and have also searched on TA but I need some help from visitors who have been to the park and know it fairly well as there are questions I need answers for.

1. What are the main hiking/climbing areas in the park. The group likes to tackle at least one challenging route and follow that up with something less so. Mount Errigal would be of interest to us, is it recommended or are there other more scenic peaks?

2. What town should we look for accommodation in?

We would like to be somewhere with a choice of accommodation, pubs and restaurants, and within a reasonable driving time of the National park. (15 miles at most)

3. Yes, I will have a look at the travel time on aaroadwatch.ie, but realistically how long do you think the Cork city - Donegal journey will take? Someone mentioned we would need a stopover.

4. Although we usually self guide, a local guide might be something we would consider because it's our first time in the area. Any ideas on where I could contact such a person?

I can't think of anything else at the moment. If you can help, I would appreciate it very much.

Furstenfeldbruck...
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Glenveagh National Park, Donegal

AerArann flies from Cork into Galway, that would at least cut the long trip down halfways or so....

22. Re: Glenveagh National Park, Donegal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, September 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Donegal Town