We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dooeys or Malinbeg Hostel?

new south wales...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Dooeys or Malinbeg Hostel?

Has anyone had any recent experience of either of these hostels? I cant find any recent, independent reviews of them. Any descriptions/opinions would be appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dooeys or Malinbeg Hostel?

I found a couple of reviews for you on bugeurope.com for Dooey's. (I'd have included the link but it had more characters than tripadvisor.com allows in messages). Unfortunately the other, Malinbeg, hasn't been reviewed yet.

I've found that website to be pretty accurate with reviews, although it's better to look at several reviews and try to get a general consensus before making your decision.

Hopefully someone else can provide first hand experience.

new south wales...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dooeys or Malinbeg Hostel?

Thanks Myrtle, will check out the reviews you mention. And hopefully someone who has stayed at either one will reply. Thanks!

Wilsonville, Oregon
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dooeys or Malinbeg Hostel?

I hope this isn't too late, but I stayed at Dooey Hostel last May. It's very rustic (which is a good thing for me, but it's not everyone's cup of tea) with stone floors and rock walls. It's run by Mary and her son, Leo, although while I was there, Mary was away on holiday for most of my stay. Leo is a perfect host (offered me tea and biscuits while I filled in the registration!) and was concerned for all of his guest's well-being. Gorgeous views all around - the hostel is at the top of a hill, and it's actually built into the hill on one side. There's also an outdoor camping area, and a car park. Last May the weather was unseasonably cold, so there weren't too many travelers, but I understand that it gets pretty busy during the summer. I'd definitely go back if I got the chance.

I did stop in at Malinbeg, and the host there is a really friendly guy as well, but they had no room left and he directed me down the way to Dooey. Malinbeg is perched right on a cliff, so I can't imagine being disappointed about the view, and it's also located across the street from a small grocery. Sorry I can't say more, but hope that helps.

new south wales...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dooeys or Malinbeg Hostel?

Thanks so much NeeCD,for all that great information. It's really helpful, and especially relevant as I will also be traveling in May. Did you stay at any other hostels in Ireland? If so, which ones were they, and what were they like? And were there any you would stay away from? Thanks again!

Nicky

5. Re: Dooeys or Malinbeg Hostel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 am, September 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Donegal Town