We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for B&Bs in Ballyshannon, Bundoran, Donegal

Florida
Level Contributor
105 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for B&Bs in Ballyshannon, Bundoran, Donegal

My husband and I will be in Ireland May 7-17, traveling by car from Dublin to County Donegal, then south along the coast, leaving from Shannon. We'll be tracking ancestral information in County Donegal, and would like to be in a nice but modest B&B at least 2 or 3 nights, either near Ballyshannon, Bundoran, or Donegal Town. I have looked up Bank House B&B and Fitzgeralds Hotel, both in Bundoran. Are they okay? Is it reasonable to use any of those three towns as a base to tour the northern coastline, clear to Giant's Causeway, or would we be better off to drive up through Northern Ireland, then west along the coastline on our way to County Donegal? We could stay in Londonderry if that's a better plan. Thanks for any help!

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for B&Bs in Ballyshannon, Bundoran, Donegal

Hello Reenie. We stayed in Rockville House, Ballyshannon, a couple of years ago. Very nice comfortable b and b, and the owner/hostess, whose name escapes me now, was very welcoming and friendly.

Sorry I can't remember contact details, but if you google or search on here I'm sure you will find it. I think we booked it following a recommendation but can't remember where from - hopeless! Donegal is gorgeous - enjoy your trip!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,195 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for B&Bs in Ballyshannon, Bundoran, Donegal

While you await further personal recommendations for accommodation, this might help in a general way for activities;

places to eat and so on in the area of south Donegal and neighboring Sligo:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g658662-i11437-k47…

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for B&Bs in Ballyshannon, Bundoran, Donegal

I would be tempted to split it. To be honest Donegal town to the Causeway is a very, very long day and I think you might miss the real beauty of the whole Antrim coastline as you'd be fed up driving by the time you reached the Causeway. I think you're looking at a 5 hour round trip. Just not worth it imho.

So I would maybe do a night or two around the Donegal town area to explore your routes and south donegal, then do the north donegal part en route to the Causeway area and overnight in the Causeway area. Of course this could be done in reverse. It does depend how many days you have - Donegal is a beautiful county and given your heritage I'd definitely want to give it a few days!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for B&Bs in Ballyshannon, Bundoran, Donegal

7th-8th Dublin

9th-10th Belfast and Antrim (Portrush?)

11th-13th Donegal

14th-15th Mayo/Connemara/Galway

16th Clare

17th Leave.

Florida
Level Contributor
105 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for B&Bs in Ballyshannon, Bundoran, Donegal

Once again, thanks for great links! I'm looking forward to reading them in-depth.

Florida
Level Contributor
105 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for B&Bs in Ballyshannon, Bundoran, Donegal

Thank you for the valuable information about the time involved. We have 9 days to spread our time, so it makes sense to us to start on the Antrim coast and work westward. Does Belfast offer much by way of interest or decent places to stay? or should we push on beyond Belfast and stay nearer the coast?

Florida
Level Contributor
105 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for B&Bs in Ballyshannon, Bundoran, Donegal

Tony2phones,

Looks like a reasonable itinerary to us. We'll have to do research on what to see in which places. Thanks for the reply.

Florida
Level Contributor
105 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for B&Bs in Ballyshannon, Bundoran, Donegal

MsRiley,

Thanks for your hint. I've already looked it up on this site.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for B&Bs in Ballyshannon, Bundoran, Donegal

"Does Belfast offer much by way of interest or decent places to stay? or should we push on beyond Belfast and stay nearer the coast"

Yes in short. On a one day trip to the city I would recommend:

- HOHO or black taxi tour. This will give you a very good overview of the city - the HOHO bus includes key landmarks like Stormont, Queen's University, Falls and Shankill wall murals etc. These tours are popular with tourists (although I've done the HOHO bus and found it very good)

- Explore some of the city by foot - there are a few walking guides available which allow you to see the old historic "entries", City Hall etc. The City Hall offers free guided tours several times a day which is a good "wet day" activity and has a Titanic memorial garden/wall in the grounds.

- Have a drink in the famous Crown Bar "the world's most beautiful bar"

- Visit the Titanic Experience - or take in a Titanic Walking tour etc

Those are just a few things off the top of my head:) Belfast is now becoming a vibrant cosmopolitan city.

Lots of options re staying - with a car I'd recommend Tara Lodge as very good value - although about a 10 minute walk from the city centre. But lots of other hotels - some lovely boutique hotels, plus of course your standard chain hotels (such as a good Hilton) have all arrived following the success of the Peace Process.

If you don't like cities, you could head on but Belfast itself has more than enough to fill a day of your trip.

10. Re: Recommendations for B&Bs in Ballyshannon, Bundoran, Donegal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 03, 2013