We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!!

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Help!!

We are 4 Senior Citizens who will be staying in Cork for 5 Days the beginning of September, we have planned days out for 4 of the days but we have 1 day free and would be grateful for any suggestions as where to visit ,bearing in mind 1 of our group will be using a wheelchair we will be hiring a car for our stay & so plan to visit Middleton, Cobh, Ballinascarty& Kinsale, Killarney, we also intend visiting Waterford Crystal, so we are open to suggestions of places to visit in surrounding Counties of Cork. So come on Bryno & Friends get your thinking caps on please.

Best Wishes

Nebo

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,141 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!!

Blarney. Even though I don't think the castle would be accesible for a wheelchair, there is good shopping there if that's your thing.

Or a drive through southwest Cork, down to Skibereen, Baltimore.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,838 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!!

Nebo !!!! Welcome back - already !

They must have looked after you so well in Garnish the last time that you are organising a quick return trip - well done.

So you don't want to go to Blarney this time - no problem.

You mentioned Skibbereen and Baltimore.

Why not go to Baltimore and take the ferry out to Sherkin Island. It's a definite day trip. I don't see the wheelchair as being a problem. I'm sure the ferry has carried wheelchairs before.

While Baltimore is a lovely village, there is not a lot to do there unless you travel out to either of the two islands. (I chose Sherkin as it's only about 20 mins on the ferry)

Have a look here for details of the ferry, times, prices etc. www.baltimore-ireland.com/sherkinferry

Another very nice day trip could be to Glengarrif where you could visit Garnish Island (yes same name as your previous gueshouse !)

Not sure how the wheelchair would fare, maybe other posters who hhave been to Garnish recently would know. Here is a starting point for you.

I'll put on the thinking cap as you said and get back to you shortly with more ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Sherkin Island
Sherkin Island
167 Reviews
Baltimore, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,838 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!!

Apologies, here is that starting point that I mentioned in my last post

www.cork-guide.ie/garnish.htm

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!!

Hi Bryno

It is good to hear from you again, you are right about Garnish House they did look after us so well on our last trip so much that we will be staying there again this trip. Thanks for the suggestion of Sherkin Island I will check the website out and show my friends and see what they think, I knew you would come up with something, what would we do without you!!. it is great to have someone like you that knows about these places or if you don't you are willing to check them out and report back. I look forward to hearing if you can think of anywhere else you might think we would like to visit. Take care My Friend.

Best Wishes

Nebo

Mentioned in this post
Garnish House
Garnish House
1,445 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Sherkin Island
Sherkin Island
167 Reviews
Baltimore, Ireland
5. Re: Help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cork