We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cork Airport, Blarney Castle, Killarney

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cork Airport, Blarney Castle, Killarney

Hello,

My family of five is visiting Ireland in July. We fly to Cork from London, then spend four nights in Killarney. After landing in Cork we'd like to see Blarney Castle before moving on to Killarney, however, we are not going to have a rental car.

As we'll have five bags with us too, my thought has been that we should hire a taxi at Cork Airport to drive us to the castle, wait while we visit (expensive I know), then return us to the train or bus station in Cork. Does anyone have advice or alternate suggestions?

We're also not quite sure about getting from Cork to Killarney. There is a private taxi service "Silverbus" based in the Limerick area, but I don't know of anything like that which would go between Cork and Killarney. We don't mind taking the train or bus, but would prefer private transport. Thank you for any advice!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,383 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cork Airport, Blarney Castle, Killarney

Best thing to do when you arrive at Cork airport is to jump on the airport bus to Cork city with your bags. (Plenty of room for them in the hold)

The trip to city is about 15-20 minutes depending on your day of arrival, and the cost is about €5 each.

When you get to the bus station, drop your bags to the nearby (2 mins walk) 'Recharge' shop where you can leave your bags with them. It will cost you to do this, but they will be safe and you will be able to do a 'deal' with them for 5 or more bags, just ask. I recently posted about this and will link you to it shortly.

Then just a two minute walk back again to the bus office to catch the bus to Blarney. It is a very regular service and takes about 25 minutes each way. The bus will take you right to Blarney village and the castle entry gates is just a minute or two walk from there. Return ticket for an adult is €7

I know you say you want a private transport to Killarney, but to be honest, it is just as good to get the bus. It is a really good service (one service every hour) from the bus station and the journey time is only 2 hours. I do think it will be cheaper to do it this way than by private transport. A single adult ticket is €19 or a return ticket (valid for one month) is €32. A student or child ticket will be cheaper. This is a lot cheaper than private transport which I estimate for 5 people to be €200 to Kilarney for 5 people.

If you really really want private transport to Killarney, come back to me and I will investigate further.

Edited: 4:28 pm, June 08, 2014
Killarney
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cork Airport, Blarney Castle, Killarney

I think you might find a private transfer the best option for the day. By the time you pay for 5 people on public transport and considering the convenience.

While you are at it you could also visit kinsale and Kenmare and Molls Gap. In Killarney I could recommend o callaghan a coaches, Kerry coaches or Deros. All excellent companies

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,383 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cork Airport, Blarney Castle, Killarney

Here's info for left luggage near the bus station

tripadvisor.ie/…52730872

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cork Airport, Blarney Castle, Killarney

Going by taxi might save money in the trip into the city and comes with the benefit of more flexible departure. Make sure you get a taxi that can hold 5 and don't get persuaded that you need to take 2 taxis or you will lose. I don't think a taxi would save on a trip from the city to Blarney or from the Airport to Blarney.

In general, bus is the best public transport option to Killarney as it's more regular than the train and direct (All but 3 of the trains require a change in Mallow). The fastest trains are marginally faster, but some are significantly slower. The main advantage of the train is that the first train leaves a long time before the first bus and it also has the latest departure, so it can sometimes suit schedules.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cork Airport, Blarney Castle, Killarney

Thanks everyone for the excellent info. Is there anything we should know about traveling with luggage on the bus or train to Killarney? The Bus Eireann website says free bags are limited to 80x70x20cm -- that 20cm depth seems a bit ridiculous. Is that enforced at all? Seems that with rail, luggage is not as restricted, but I can't really tell.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cork Airport, Blarney Castle, Killarney

In both cases you load them yourself and there is nobody looking to enforce it.

That said, cases on the bus have to be able to fit into the cargo area under the bus. Still, I reckon you could get in more than 20cm easily.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cork Airport, Blarney Castle, Killarney

Thank you blackgreen, that's good to know.

As for private transport, I found this company online: http://www.butlers-buses.com/index.htm (sorry if the link doesn't work). They seem to do all varieties of private transport at reasonable prices. Have any of you heard of this business?

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cork Airport, Blarney Castle, Killarney

Thats true, you'll often see backpackers loading their gear into the hold and if they are 20cm deep then I weigh 8 stone!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cork Airport, Blarney Castle, Killarney

Ian butler ( butler coaches) very reputable company for private hire and regularly do trips for golfers around south of Ireland ... I can recommend them as I have used them on many occasions !

Cork
Level Contributor
10 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cork Airport, Blarney Castle, Killarney

Ive often seen a minibus with Blarney castle all over it outside the bus stop in Cork. My brother is a bus driver for Bus Eireann ill get some info!