We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Cork shopping/good seafood/relaxing pub?

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
City Cork shopping/good seafood/relaxing pub?

Been in Ireland for 3 sleepless days, just arrived at hayfield manor. Tomorrow we plan on getting up early and going to Blarney and Jameson in Old Midleton. My wife and I would like lunch/dinner recommendations (price range, less than 20 euro a plate), we love seafood!! I feel bad because we haven't really had any true Irish food. Been going so quick just grabbing burgers or huge breakfast and eating over priced food at the hotels. Also, my wife would like to shop. She said she heard there is a huge outdoor shopping center here? We have a rental, but would like to walk or take a taxi if needed. Tired of driving!! Finally, after dinner, we would like a local pub/non tourist place to relax drink we pints! Also, any recommendations for Killarney, dingle, and doolin area food places. Doesn't have to be in those cities, just the areas! Thanks TA!

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: City Cork shopping/good seafood/relaxing pub?

The English market here in cork is what my wife just told me....Also any other shopping recommendations.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,301 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City Cork shopping/good seafood/relaxing pub?

Macs of Main Street in Killarney is great for food. The staff are lovely www.macsofmainstreet.com

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
376 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City Cork shopping/good seafood/relaxing pub?

The English Market is neither outdoors nor a shopping centre.

It is a popular indoor food market in the city centre; incidentally, it does have a place that might be of interest to you - the Farmgate restaurant, nice selection of freshly made locally sourced produce.

Patrick Street in the city is the main shopping area.

As you may not quite savour the idea of an afternoon trekking from shop to shop, keep your eyes peeled for Mutton Lane while progressing down Patrick St; seize the moment and nip into the cosy pub down the narrow passageway.

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: City Cork shopping/good seafood/relaxing pub?

Thank you rostourist! That will help a lot with making her happy (and me relaxed and out f her way!)

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City Cork shopping/good seafood/relaxing pub?

Bryan, when you are in Midleton and if you want lunch go to 'Sage' or 'The Farmgate' (this one has connections with the Farmgate restaurant mentioned already in the English Market.

If you are in Blarney and need snack or lunch there is a very good self service restaurant connected to the Blarney Woolen Mills shop (your wife will like this place), it's only 5 mins walk from the Blarney castle entry gate.

By the way, I agree with other poster, the English Market is not a shopping centre as you might know it, unliess you want pigs trotters, cheeses or a bag of prawns !!

For Dinner tonight try the following

Liberty Grill - on Washington street, just about 10 mins walk from HM (Reardens or Costigans Bars just across the road are very good)

Market Lane on Oliver Plunkett Street , is a very good restaurant with lots of irish produce influenced dishes. (Cantys Pub nearby on Pembroke street is very trad, but there are a number of good pubs in the vicinity of Oliver Plunkett street - so try them all. The Glandore, Oliver Plunkett, Counihans, Arthur Maynes, and if you have time, step back in time when you enter 'The Long Valley' on Winthrop Street. A visit to the 'bathroom' there is a MUST for the gentlemen ;-))

Electric on South Mall. is one of my favourite restaurants in the city, buzzy, with friendly staff and good food. You can have great tapas downstairs, or sit down up stairs and be served. Try and get a window seat. (it also happens to be a very nice pub with good cocktails too, or checkout Souths Bar just down the road in the Imperial Hotel

Isaacs on McCurtain Street - a good bistro, very popular with corkonians. Nearby Dan Lowreys pub is a must visit (across the road and up a bit).

Note,none of the places I mentioned are 'touristy', I don't know of any tourist pubs or restaurants in Cork city.

Cuisine wise, the restaurants that I have mentioned (and many more) endeavour to consistently source their ingredients locally or at the very least ensure that they are produced in Ireland.

The best place for shopping is Patrick Street and Oliver Plunkett street areas. Our largest out of town shopping centre is called Mahon Point. You can drive there - loads of free parking or you can get the bus from South Mall (regular service). Mahon Point has all the high street shops located in one large indoor centre. A dreadful place ;-)) , but then I'm not a shopper, and it's adored by shopaholics countrywide.

Enjoy and thanks for bringing the sun

Edited: 3:20 am, May 28, 2014
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City Cork shopping/good seafood/relaxing pub?

You mentioned seafood.

In that case, Bryno's suggestion of Electric may be a good one. They have a fish bar there, that is quite reasonably priced.

The city's only other seafood restaurant is Oysters, but that is a lot more expensive.

The Fish Hatch on Pembroke St does excellent takeaway fish and chips, but it has no seating available, so you would need to find somewhere pleasant outside to eat it.

Otherwise, The Bosun in Monkstown (a suburb about 10km out of the city) is also a fish restaurant.

7. Re: City Cork shopping/good seafood/relaxing pub?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, May 30, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Cork