We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Cork

Durham,uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Cork

Hi, my boyfriend and I will be staying in Cork at the end of August, we have booked a B&B in Wellington road arriving Saturday Night and leaving Monday afternoon

Please can you tell me where the main nightlif is in Cork and the best livley pubs to visit? also how far is our B&B to walk.

we plan to visit Blarney Castle on the sunday afternoon and was wondering if the shops in Cork are open on Sundays? and any must see/do's? many thanks

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Cork

Most of the nightlife is in the city centre on Washington street, Patricks street and Oliver plunket Street. You will find lots of good bars to suit different tastes on these streets. They are all near each other. The Savoy is a good nightclub. It has live music upstairs and a disco downstairs. It closes about 2.30am though. It is on Partick street.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Cork

Wellington Road is about 10-15min walk into town.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,411 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Cork

Regarding the shops on Sunday. The larger department stores do open at midday. M&S, Dunnes Stores etc

Cork City centre is full of smaller more personal shops which do not open on Sundays.

If the weather is fine on a Sunday the city centre comes alive with people, just strolling and browsing.

If you go to Blarney castle in the afternoon the shops will probably be closed again by the time you get back. Better off going to Blarney in the morning and then get back to Cork city for lunch time.

Have a look at my 'Day Trips' article on the Cork Inside pages under the main heading -Things to do. Sorry, can't link it to the post so you'll have to go looking yourself.

If you want my restaurant list email me at brynoadvisor@yahoo,ie

Three of my favourites (Greenes, Isaccs and La Boqueria) are on it and are only 5 mins walk from the end of Wellington road.

Durham,uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Cork

Many thanks for your help.

Cork,Ireland
Level Contributor
352 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Cork

Hi ya

What age are you and your boyfriend? The city is really divided into 3 main areas for pubs etc.

Your B&B is not that far to walk down to town, but in the evening be careful walking back up to your B&B, i know its not far but be careful.

As previous reply, Oliver Plunkett Street, Scotts is good atmosphere, Old Oak, really big pub, usually live music on Sunday which is free, check out posters. Lots of pubs off Oliver Plunkett street, just ask where GPO is! All along that street restaurants off it and pubs, so a great pub crawl to be had on Oliver Plunkett.

Washington Street is the other area, lots of pubs, also a new pub & restaurant nearby called Soho... this is supposed to be nice though I havent tried it yet. Some of the pubs on Washinton street are very studenty, but if you are in Cork before Colleges go back it wont be so bad. Reardens is the big pub there, it is ok.. but i dont really like it.Again there is live music there at weekends. Some night clubs near there but not very good.

Some more pubs off Washington Street are good. I love the Raven, small pub great buzz there, also Roundy House, just reopened. Bodega, all off the Coal Quay (pronounced kay).

Most shops are open on Sunday in the City, great atmosphere in the town usually, if the weather is good.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Cork!

6. Re: Visiting Cork

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 15, 2009