We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

night out in Douglas and night in city centre?

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Level Contributor
236 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
night out in Douglas and night in city centre?

hi I would appreciate some advice

-couple late 40s staying on Sun 21 Dec at Rochestown park (have stayed before) and would like some suggestions on

- where to eat? -like fresh local food cooked simply- chicken / steak etc -special birthday meal.

-bars with music and bit of atmosphere.

Happy to use taxi.

Staying Clarion on Fri 3 Jan again dining suggestions and where to spend the night bar wise?

I am thinking Issacs but open to suggestion and had good night in Clancys during summer.

Thanks!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: night out in Douglas and night in city centre?

Bars in Douglas are relatively straightforward as there are only 5 in the centre of the village. For mid-40s, I would suggest either the South County for a more traditional bar or Barry's for a more lively one.

The other three bars, East Village, O'Driscoll's and O'Sullivan's [known as John O's] tend to pitch younger.

There are a few others not too far out as well, such as the Briar Rose, The Silver Key and the Rochestown Inn [not especially close to the hotel]. Any of those are suitable for your age group.

I haven't been to a restaurant in Douglas in a while and there are a few new ones have opened and others closed, so I can't recommend based on experience. I hear good things about Douglas Tea Rooms though.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,168 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: night out in Douglas and night in city centre?

From the Clarion you could walk to this one and it's next door to Isaacs too.

www.greenesrestaurant.com/

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: night out in Douglas and night in city centre?

The Club Brasserie, which is 50m down the quay from the Clarion is good. The restaurant in the Clarion does good food, but lacks a bit of atmosphere. The bar menu there is fairly decent, if you like Asian influenced food.

Otherwise, you'll need to walk a short distance. Greene's and Isaac's are both good. There are also a few around the Oliver Plunkett St area, although you'll need to apply some judgement as some are a mediocre at best. Market Lane and Jacques, which are at the right end of Oliver Plunkett St for the Clarion are both worthwhile.

ireland
Level Contributor
236 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: night out in Douglas and night in city centre?

Thanks for suggestions- I have been in Greens- its good- like the look of Market lane and Club brasseria.

Still open to suggestion for dining in Douglas- Any opinions welcome.

Cork
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: night out in Douglas and night in city centre?

The most popular restaurant by far in Douglas is Eco Restaurant but it is nearly always booked out

well in advance.

The tea rooms in the East Village Douglas are worth a visit for a coffee or snack lunch. Lovely

atmosphere and decor etc.

Have a good time

6. Re: night out in Douglas and night in city centre?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cork