We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cork

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Cork

We are traveling to Ireland in a few weeks, I am looking for suggestions to make the most of our time in Cork. We will be spending two nights in Cork and then heading to Doolin. While in Cork is it reasonable to make day trips to the Kerry area ? Any suggestions would be appreciated. We will have a car. I am traveling with my mother and two daughters (Young adults). Any thoughts for the drive to Doolin would also be helpful. Thank you in advance.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cork

If you are staying in Cork (city or county?) the most sensible thing would to be to see Cork, if you want to see Kerry, stay in Kerry!! saves a lot of driving.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,974 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cork

Killarney is possible as a day trip from Cork by car or public transport. It's about 80 mins away by car or train and 90 mins by bus. If you don't have a car, rent bikes when you get there to get the most of Killarney.

I wouldn't really recommend trying to get out to the Ring of Kerry or even moreso Dingle on a day trip from Cork. You would spend too much time in a car or coach and not enough time seeing your destination. West Cork is a bit more accessible from Cork City and would probably make a better alternative to the Kerry peninsulas.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cork

"While in Cork is it reasonable to make day trips to the Kerry area ?"

It's reasonable when you have lots of time, maybe not so reasonable when you just have two days, and one of them is to see Cork.

The Cork - Killarney trip is a very nice one, but be aware that 3 hours will be taken getting there and back alone. However, once there, you could visit the beautiful Muckross House, Gardens, Lake and Waterfall. You could also easily fit in the lovely drive from Killarney to Kenmare via Molls gap and then once in Kenmare you could continue home via Kilgarvan, thus not having to retrace your steps back to Killarney.

If you did not want to drive to Kenmare (about 50 mins drive from Killarney), you could visit one of my favourite places near Killarney and that is the Gap of Dunloe. It's only about 6 miles from Killarney and on a pleasant day is a most rewarding trip to a stunning part of the county.

If you want to stay in Cork County, (day tripping from Cork City), then I recommend that you drive to Mizen Head peninsula or further north to the Beara Peninsula. Both, beautiful and wild areas where you will see what the best of County Cork has to offer in terms of scenery. Three Castle Head is a challenge to get to on the Mizen Peninsula, but if you are up for it you won't be disappointed.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cork

While in Cork see Shandon Clock tower , ring the ancient bells and if brave climb to the top to get a fantastic view over Cork City, also don't miss a stop to Linehans sweet shop over the road, they are the last of a dying breed of boiled sweet makers, all made by hand on the premises, 1 euro for a bag of traditional sweets and lovely friendly owner whose family have been there for years.

Lots of the city centre pubs do very good food, try Clancys, also visit the English Market, all sorts of food and it's been featured on Rick Steins show a few times for it's famous fresh fish.

Free is Crawford Art Gallery in the city centre, also Fitzgeralds Park is a nice place by the river lee, it's got a little museum there too.

Drive to Youghal, a nice little seaside town about 15 miles from Cork, also Crosshaven with it's little scenic bays and lovely harbour.

Kerry is about and hour and a half, I'd recommend you stay overnight though, a bit long for a day trip, but there is loads of lovely scenery to be had around Cork really, Bantry Bay, Gougane Barra, Fota Wildlife near Cobh, which is worth a visit in itself for it's colourful rows of houses, Cathedral and the Titanic experience.

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Cork

If you go to cork don't stay in the city - it's not very tourist friendly! Stay outside the city .Kinsale is lovely as is Cobh and you can travel to other towns from there.Ive been to cork twice and found the people rude and abrupt.Kerry and Galway are much better places to visit!

6. Re: Cork

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cork