We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day sightseeing in Cobh for two sr citizen

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
149 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
One day sightseeing in Cobh for two sr citizen

I read in some other posts that this would be a good plan for a day long stop - Queenstown Heritage Centre, St Colman's Cathedral, Titanic Trail) and Fota (House, gardens and wildlife park). How far are these places from the port and what is the best way to get to these places? Should my parents do these in this particular order? They are 67 yo relatively active but poor English. They are arriving on Celebrity from 8 am to 9 pm. Thank you for advice.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,288 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day sightseeing in Cobh for two sr citizen

The Heritage Centre is very close to where the liners dock. Maybe 100 feet or so. So that is easy enough to do.

The Cathedral is up a steep hill. But only 10 - 15 minutes walk from where the liners dock.

The trail is around the town.

Fota is about 10 minutes drive from Cobh and I would suggest your parents take a taxi there. I haven't visited Fota House but the wildlife park will take at least 2 hours, possibly more.

I would suggest your parents relax a little when they arrive. Fota will not be open until 9.30 so they should consider booking a taxi for 9am. They could spend the morning in Fota then book the taxi to take them back at about 1pm.

They will then be back in Cobh for the Titanic Trail at 2pm (walks are only at 11am and 2pm). They could then spend the rest of the afternoon wandering around Cobh.

I think the big problem is filling the time between 5.30 or so and 9pm. Most places will be closed by then.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day sightseeing in Cobh for two sr citizen

If you do as Bean suggests and get a taxi to and from Fota then get the driver to leave you at the Cathedral. It will save you having to walk up! Personally I find it a killer and I am in my mid 30s and reasonably fit! I was at a confirmation there recently and I practically crawled up!!! Communion in three weeks and I am considering getting a taxi! :)

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: One day sightseeing in Cobh for two sr citizen

A few more suggestions. The train to Fota takes just 10 minutes and leaves from right next to the ship. There will be trains every 30 minutes in each direction when a ship that big is in port.

The Cobh Road Train is great to get to the Cathedral as it goes there towards the end of the tour. The driver/guide is very knowledgeable.

I would also suggest having an early dinner on board that evening as the sailaway from Cobh should not be missed - it is a picture postcard town!

Chicago
Level Contributor
149 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day sightseeing in Cobh for two sr citizen

Thank you so much for great suggestions! Now i just need to plan all other 7 stops :)

5. Re: One day sightseeing in Cobh for two sr citizen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cork