We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Weekend in Cork..!

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Summer Weekend in Cork..!

Hello,

I am going to be 30 in July this year and to take the sting away I am looking for cheap weekend away and I think Cork looks great… Is there any hidden tourist jems that could be visited on a budget in the city or the surrounding areas..? Or anything that shouldn't be missed in Summer..? I also love old style pubs, a bit like those found in Dublin, and wandered if anyone had any recommendations...

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Weekend in Cork..!

Don't worry, there are worse things than being 30 ;-)) (and I should know)

Cork will be perfect for your birthday weekend

Here is a list of things that can be done, in and around Cork City. Whether they suit your wallet is only a question you can answer.

tripadvisor.ie/Travel-g186600-s407/Cork:Irel…

Here is a list of traditional pubs that are also traditional music venues:

tripadvisor.ie/Travel-g186600-c4976/Cork:Ire…

There are many other pubs that are 'old style' There is a pub every 50 yards in Cork City.

My favourites are:

The Long Valley - Wnthrop street.

The Rob Roy - Cook Street

The Mutton Lane - Mutton Lane

An Brog - Oliver Plunkett street

Clancys - Pembroke Street

Counihans - ditto

The Oval Bar - South Main Street

Costigans - Washington Street

Reardens - ditto

Dan Lowreys - McCurtain Street.

........and many more.

Enjoy your trip.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Weekend in Cork..!

Thanks Bryno - that's great help..! We're all booked up now so looking forward to it.

One thing I am quite keen to do one our visit is take in something on a sporting front... I know that Munster are based in Cork, but after reviewing their site I noticed that there is not really anything in the way of stadium tours etc... which is surprising for such a big club. In July it will be out of season, but do you think that it is worth a visit?

Also, in Dublin we visited Croke Park and really enjoyed it, so a good alternative would be to catch some hurling or football. I went on the GAA site and I noticed their are games scheduled that weekend, but it appears part of a cup competition which obviously would mean the games being scheduled nearer the time... Is it east to get a ticket on the day? And is the atmosphere friendly or is there any part of the ground which should be avoided etc... Not being familiar with the sports I am not sure which way to go about it.

China
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Weekend in Cork..!

Hi Chris, Munster play some matches in Musgrave Park in Cork but most are held in Thomond Park in Limerick. Neither stadium is worth a visit on a non match day.

A GAA match is a must! Check the GAA website closer to your visit for fixtures.

Inter county matches (e.g. Cork v Kerry in football) can attract big crowds of around 30,000 or more). Tickets are almost always easy to get on the day; around €25 each. Tickets are also sold on Ticketmaster.ie.

I would also check for 'county championship' matches between Cork club teams (e.g. Blackrock v the Glen). In particular, try to get to any Senior hurling or Intermediate hurling championship match. Pay cash at the gate, around €8 to €10 each. These games attract crowds of up to 2,000 in GAA grounds all over Cork and can be very intense.

Club 'league' matches are also held during the Summer. Club League matches are much less important than Championship and are generally free in.

There is no need to worry about 'no go' areas at any GAA match.

Enjoy your stay :)

China
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Weekend in Cork..!

Use this website for Cork Club matches. http://www.gaacork.ie/

Club matches can sometimes be rescheduled or relocated at very short notice so recheck the website on the match day to make sure it's still on.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer Weekend in Cork..!

Keep an eye on those websites posted by xavred but come back and remind us about this nearer your travel time too, just in case their are local games that you would be interested in.

It is easy to get tickets at the gates for the majority of matches, apart from major championships which take place later in the year.

6. Re: Summer Weekend in Cork..!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:06 am, April 05, 2013
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer Weekend in Cork..!

Thats fantastic help - cheers to both of you, i'll check back nearer the time as it does sound like a must in this case..!

8. Re: Summer Weekend in Cork..!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 10, 2014